Shopsmith Mark V... pre-gloat

Ned Bulken

I just got word that my uncle is giving up woodworking... he has a 'complete' shopsmith mark V from the mid 80's including the bandsaw and I'm presuming dust collector... which he would like to give to me. My father wants to 'intercept it' and use it at his house until I move to VA. Given that I have a shop full of stand alone tools, I'm more than happy to let him tinker with it, but am looking forward to using it when I visit, and someday have it in my shop. Way back in the day I wanted one of those in the worst way, and while from what I've read, my stand alone tools will do many of the tasks better, I still am tickled pink that my uncle would pass that along to me. My dad wants to build a few things, so I expect it will be lightly used by him, and from what he tells me also lightly used by my uncle. It has sat idle for several years, any shopsmith gurus out there have tips for maintenance etc for getting it out of mothballs and running again?

And Pic police, you'll have to wait until the actual transfer happens, I just got the news today, and the tools are in GA, I'm in VA, and not going to make another day and a half trip just to pick them up on my vacation. Dad's retired, he's going to visit his brother and pick it up to get it to VA. I just hope they have someone to load it in the truck when he gets there. LOL.

Congrats Ned. Even if you don't use it for anything else, it does some things as a Drill Press that Other Drill Presses can't do, (like horizontal drilling, which is real handy some times). The variable speed on it is great, and it is good for buffing/polishing applications as well.:thumb:

That's a good deal for you Ned. The ShopSmith has, in the base model, a really good drill press, good horizontal boring, really decent disk sander, good lathe for some things, and IMHO a bad table saw--the top tilts, not the arbor. However some people, probably more patient than I, have made spectacular projects with the table saw. I use mine for the drill press and disc sander the most. The lathe is used if I have to turn something--I'm not a turner. Horizontal boring is used occasionally. It's been years since the saw blade cut wood. Don't know that I would buy another one, but I'm certainly not going to get rid on the one I have. This is definitely a gloat worthy acquisition.

Pretty Cool !

There is a Shop Smth forum out there somewhere if you search. I also read about a new electronic variable speed retrofit kit that is or will be available for the Mark V. Pimp it up and trick it out !:thumb:

Thanks guys,
funny thing, when I was a teenager and jonesing for a woodshop, my dream tool was for a Mark V, well funny thing, sometimes dreams get fulfilled if you wait awhile I guess. I'm not worried about the saw function, I have a perfectly functional contractor saw already. I Am looking forward to the drill press functions. I have a benchtop drill press already, but I won't mind sending that on to a new home and using the Mark V at all. As for the lathe, well I've already got a midi lathe, but I'm sure I'll spin a few things on the new tool someday as well.

I gather this is a 510 model at least, and it has a dust collector and a bandsaw add on as well. Not sure if he has the jointer/planer modules or what, but hey, it's a nice tool and I'm sure both my father and I will put it to good use.

In case you're still interested...

I'm new here & just started browsing & found this thread. If you're still interested in info, PM me & we can talk. I'm a "Smith" junkie. I own 5 (currently - sort of defeats the purpose of a combination machine, I suppose) & routinely rebiuld & re-sell them.

Congrats Ned, that'll be fun using a tool thats part of your family!

True, but we'll still need a few more gigabytes if Ned ever gets going on FINISHING THE SHOP HE'S ALREADY STARTED! :rofl: :rofl: :D

Three years, and counting, Ned! :rofl: :rofl:

I thought Ned was building projects in his shop???? If so, that means it is DONE and all that is left is fine tuning trim work:D:thumb::D

Now Stu on his 2 yr Apartment remodel...that deserves some grief:huh::p

I'm new here & just started browsing & found this thread. If you're still interested in info, PM me & we can talk. I'm a "Smith" junkie. I own 5 (currently - sort of defeats the purpose of a combination machine, I suppose) & routinely rebiuld & re-sell them.
Tom,
Welcome to the forums!
Thanks much, I'll be sure and pick your brain when I finally get to play with it. My dad has taken delivery, and evidently it is now in his basement, i'll get to see it over the hollydaze when we make the trek to VA next month.

Move???:eek:

That new shop thread is gonna be a long one, we'd better call bluehost for more disk space...:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats on the new shop smith...you'll be happy with it.

Darren
I'll make a donation if we shut down the servers.

relax darren we have plenty of time yet before the extra room will be needed:)
1.5 years at least.

True, but we'll still need a few more gigabytes if Ned ever gets going on FINISHING THE SHOP HE'S ALREADY STARTED! :rofl: :rofl: :D

Three years, and counting, Ned! :rofl: :rofl:
yep, keep counting.

Congrats Ned, that'll be fun using a tool thats part of your family!

I thought Ned was building projects in his shop???? If so, that means it is DONE and all that is left is fine tuning trim work:D:thumb::D

Now Stu on his 2 yr Apartment remodel...that deserves some grief:huh::p

Stu's apartment jobs get finished, mine is a shop, which by Definition is Never finished.