Large finials. Couple of questions

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've stopped by :(:wave: Well, the other week my uncle asked me to stop over and showed me a project he wants me to work on. He has a very victorian-styled house and he wants me to turn some large victorian style finials that will go on his roof on the end of the gables. To give you an example, follow this link http://www.ecoastweathervanes.com/finials.htm?gclid=CI3EmJLW1psCFc5L5QodoH_e_Q ...although I will be making mine out of wood, not copper. He hasn't thought of an exact design yet, but for a ballpark measurement he's thinking something about 4" in diameter and near 3' long. Maybe something with a ball or a little bit of design near the base and then the majority of the finial being a long slender cone coming to a point at the top. I have one main question for everyone and that would be what type of wood do you think I could use? The finials are going to be painted so cosmetics is not an issue. If I were to take a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 green treated pine I would be afraid that once it dried out it would split or warp :dunno: ...or could I seal it up with the paint and prevent that? I have no clue. Another option is I have some 2x6 cedar that I could laminate a few pieces and then turn. Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

Several choices for the wood to be used. Mahogany is an obvious choice because of its paintability. Osage Orange has been used for fence posts because it does not rot. Turned and painted, it should out live the house. Redwood and teak would also be great choices. Ipe as well.

I would think redwood or doug fir would be fine. I'd get some that's kiln dried or thats been around a long time to ensure stability, then laminate the blank together, which will make it even more stable.

All those wood recommendations are fine. Turning a large finial is not a big challenge. But, making many identical is a challenge. There are sources that sell them ready made. Takes the fun out of the project but sometimes....praktikel is the way to go.

Hey thanks for the response everyone. My uncle came over this past weekend and we went over design ideas and I showed him how to perform simple cuts and whatnot. Sounds like we will be starting them within the next week or two. We've decided to go with cedar. He's going to try and find some in an 8x8" otherwise we will use 6x6". We plan on making the first one to his liking and then making a pattern to go off of and make the rest. Sounds like he really wants to get in there and work on them with me... perhaps another future turner :dunno: :) jk, we'll see. According to the past few posts I've been checking out, it sounds like Larry's really into turning, is that true Larry? :D

Thanks again for the posts. I'll keep you guys updated with pictures of course