Greene and Greene blanket chest finished

I finished the blanket chest today. I am pleased with the outcome for the most part. There's always room for improvement. I always see the mess ups in anything I do. I'm also happy with the finishing routine that I followed. It gave an aged look to the cherry and it turned the purple heart a really dark purple. I made a desk for my daughter about 5 years ago from cherry and it's as dark as it already. Here's some pics of the results. As always thinks for looking.

Attachments

• blanket chest 010 (Medium).jpg
    blanket chest 010 (Medium).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 86
  • blanket chest 012 (Medium).jpg
    blanket chest 012 (Medium).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 79
  • blanket chest 013 (Medium).jpg
    blanket chest 013 (Medium).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 74
  • blanket chest 018 (Medium).jpg
    blanket chest 018 (Medium).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 66
  • blanket chest 015 (Medium).jpg
    blanket chest 015 (Medium).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 65
john what was your finishing process? and one thought for you to look at is yu might want those cushioned support hinges on there some where in case a little one comes threw and gets there fingers in the wrong place.. it can be added to your lid with out much trouble.. looks nice the cherry is definitely gettin dark quick..

Larry,

The finishing process was as follows: I fumed the chest under a plastic tent that I made for 24 hours. I then let it sit in the sun for around 2 hours. For the finish I applied 3 coats of arm r seal.

I had the same concerns about the lid closing on someones fingers. I looked at a lot of different hing options and finally settled on these from rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21288&filter=lid%20stay They are a little pricey, but when you factor in the cost of hinges and some other soft close option they weren't that much more. With these hinges the lid will stay in any place it's put. They are also really easy to install.

Toni, I didn't think of putting any trays inside. That might be an option that I'll still do. Thanks, for suggesting it.

well john those are new to me,,,i never saw those before.. i thought yu had regular hinges on it back there...:thumb::thumb: glad yu thought ahead.. sure looks like the fuming worked..ammonia right?

Yes Larry it was ammonia. It was 24%. My brother passed away in 03. He was the biggest pack rat on the planet. I was going through a storage building he had at my place a couple years ago and found this gallon bottle of ammonia. I have no idea where he got it. If he knew anybody that was getting rid of anything he would take it because he "might need it some day". I don't know how many truck loads of stuff I've helped him move over the years.

That came out looking sweet, John. :thumb: The fuming treatment looks like it worked great, and I like the purpleheart details.