The altar V1.0

Oh something else. :eek: Since the majority of people will be viewing your altar from a broadside have you considered shaping your legs so they wouldn't appear to be simple slabs from that view? You need to show off your skills! Along that idea maybe incorporate stiles reaching to the altar top from an arched stretcher?

Cheers.

I maybe wrong, but I don't believe mission precludes arches. I have seen classic pieces that had arched components. I can think of trunions, stretchers, arm supports and skirts. They were very subtle curves, just enough to lighten a line or raise the appearance of the piece. And I am sure I am not confusing Greene and Greene influenced pieces.

I will have to go through some books now to see if I my memory is tricking me.

Good luck with all these opinions.

Dan The pastor specificaly stated that he wanted mission style. That mean streight lines.

one thing to remember don, "mission" was basically a misnaming of the style that gustav stickley promoted. one could say it was a promotional gimmick to sell furniture (not on stickley's part, as he disliked the name). not all straight or angled lines though. curved corbels were used as both structural and decorative features.

one thing to remember don, "mission" was basically a misnaming of the style that gustav stickley promoted. one could say it was a promotional gimmick to sell furniture (not on stickley's part, as he disliked the name). not all straight or angled lines though. curved corbels were used as both structural and decorative features.
Just adding my $.02. Here's some 'curves' in the mission style.
mission_table.JPG

59736.jpg

I like the look of the altar you've built. The Mission school was, I think, based in church architecture.

I've felt the call to build church furniture - altars, crosses, etc., for the last few years. If anyone is doing that type of work, please get in touch. I think you'll have to go through the administrators to get to me. I don't generally set my preferences to allow just anyone to get in touch.

Our church has the Castleman Altar, which is or was, the largest piece carved from a single piece of wood. It's huge, and it's really impressive, both as an altar, and to me, a remarkable piece of work. I don't think I'll ever make such a piece, but it's something impressive to work toward.

Keep the faith, and keep up the good work.