Do You Wear a Face Shield?

I wear a face shield when I am turning bowls, platters and while roughing down stock for boxes.

I was in a class when a guy had a segmented urn fly off the lathe (he had not tightened the chuck) and hit him in the forehead. When he awoke he had several stitches and was not in the mood for much more turning that week.

You just never know. I probably should wear a face shield while turning boxes but I don't except during the roughing process.

I think it is a lot less painful to be thankful that you were wearing the faceshield than it is to be regretful that you were not wearing one when something does happen.

Sorry Vaughn I read the story a couple of times. Where in there did it say that the man was not wearing a face sheild? Maybe he was and that was a contributing factor to the accident and his death. Maybe he had just lifted it up to see a fine detail of work as it was covered in dust from all his sanding. :dunno: Maybe he should have been wearing a hard hat with side impact protection? :thumb:

Sorry Vaughn I read the story a couple of times. Where in there did it say that the man was not wearing a face sheild?...

Good point Drew. People still get hurt by their lathes when wearing face protection, but the shield sure does reduce the potential for serious injury.

I wear the Triton Powered respirator when I'm doing any roughing or anything on big stuff, or out of round stuff. It is a hardhat face shield combo, and the clean air is a nice thing too.

When I'm working on smaller things, or finishing a bowl, no, not usually, I have my safety glasses on when I get into the Dungeon, they seldom come off, usually only to change them as they fog up (I have about 4 or 5 pair down there).

I know you cannot "Duck" the pieces, no one is that fast, but I do stand out of the way when I can, and I try my best to not do anything stupid.

Still, bad things do happen to good people, and that would certainly be a lousy way to die.
:(

Do you wear a face shield

I have noticed repliies that folks don't wear shields when turning small items.Think about this,usually when your turning small items you have the lathe running at a much higher speed.Well if you have a small piece turning at,say 2000 plus RPM's and it breaks apart,you have a bunch of shrapnel coming at you at probably a hundred MPH.Please folks,WEAR EM.I hate to read about these things when they are so preventable.Like said,it only takes one time.

My trend hangs by the door. If I go in the shop to turn it goes on. After seeing the neighbor who had a HF come apart while turning about a year ago with no face shield on and he was not in what I would call the line of fire. He had 23 stitches in his nose and forehead. Mine goes on when I go in and comes off when I walk out.

Needless to say he does wear it now. He said he had two choices. Either wear the face shield or be killed by his wife.:rofl:

Generally I do wear mine since I got that Bioguard (or what ever its called) shield. Fully adjustable to fit properly and does not cause any distortion. Replacable shield and does a great job. I finally got the chance to turn yesterday and did not put it on for some reason. Thought about that fact when a pretty nice piece came off the chuck when I was turning off the tennon. I was pretty well done by then so I just left it off. But I do feel so much more comfortable and know I am safer when it is on my head, not the peg.

I wear the Uvex Bionic shield when I am roughing large or out of balance pieces and I always were safety glasses.

Not knowing what happened but there can be so many contributing factors. For me I use the tail stock with live center as long as I can. I use appropriate speeds for the diameter of the piece and always try to stand out of the line of fire if something did happen.

Every power tool has the potential to be deadly. We all assume risk when we turn on any machine. The key is we accept those risk and take precautions that mitigate those risk best we see fit.

Alan

I have a new Trend that I've been wearing faithfully recently, but I noticed that it didn't do much good last week when I was turning some zebrawood!! I had an allergic reaction the likes of which I have never had before - eyes watering, nose running, then absolutely closed up. Seems that the .3 micron filter on that thing didn't do the entire job. I've never had something fly apart on the lathe, other than a pen barrel blow out, but I had a piece come off the chuck recently and go bouncing--fortunately it was small (about 4" diameter), and it didn't hit me on the way across the shop, but it reminded me that I must wear my shield when I'm at the lathe.

I always wear a face shield or, when sanding, my Trend Air Shield. For some reason I just don't feel as immortal as I thought I was when I was a teenager. Gee, could I be maturing? :eek:
Nah, that's not it. :rofl:

Safety first is always the rule. Every time I see a woodworker who is missing a thumb or finger I'm reminded to be a bit more careful. Power tools do not give us second chances very often.

I have noticed repliies that folks don't wear shields when turning small items.Think about this,usually when your turning small items you have the lathe running at a much higher speed.Well if you have a small piece turning at,say 2000 plus RPM's and it breaks apart,you have a bunch of shrapnel coming at you at probably a hundred MPH.Please folks,WEAR EM.I hate to read about these things when they are so preventable.Like said,it only takes one time.

Ken,
This is exactly why I wear a face shield anytime my lathe is on... it hangs on a hook directly above the lathe and the only time I take it off is when I really need to see something happening on the lathe... when it's off, tools don't touch the wood..... I started out wearing safety glasses, but the first time a pen blank blew up and hit me under the eye, I bought a full face shield... so far it's taken about 3 whacks that didn't mess up my pretty face...:rofl::rofl:... and after a bowl came apart a couple of months ago, thinking about one of those chest protectors that the plate umpires wear... that piece left a mark on my chest.

I have a new Trend that I've been wearing faithfully recently, but I noticed that it didn't do much good last week when I was turning some zebrawood!! I had an allergic reaction the likes of which I have never had before - eyes watering, nose running, then absolutely closed up. Seems that the .3 micron filter on that thing didn't do the entire job........

Nancy, I've come to the conclusion that it is often unseen volatiles from the wood as much as the dust that gets you, and of course the normal particle filters let them through.
I always have worn a face shield from day one of turning (original Trend) but regularly fell foul of severe allergic reactions despite extensive dust extraction.

I recently upgraded my mask system, having tried the new Trend I found it too top heavy for me and bit the bullet and went for a 3M Dust master with rear filter inlet, since using it I have not had any significant reactions and I believe it is because the mask is using clearer air rather than that from in front of you close to the dust generation. Mind you a good curry can make the next days turning interesting. :)

One of our UK forum members has just had a nasty experience, needless to say it's face shield every time from now on.
thebowlthatbitback003.jpg

Do you where a face shiled

DANG,thats a nasty bump there,but looks like he should be fine ( I hope ) he was lucky that what ever hit him didn't hit an eye.Thats what you call learning the hard way.