What are these tools for?

Can anyone tell me what these tools were/are used for?

A saw jointer and a saw raker.

I only imagine that a saw raker would hold the saw by clamping it to prevent it from bendind and use it as some sort of rasp substitute.

And the saw jointer no idea at all. Both are on ebay, I'm not interested in buying them but I'd like to know its function.

Any info will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• !BWWBy)g!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLlvjJvBKW9qi186Q~~_1.JPG
    !BWWBy)g!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLlvjJvBKW9qi186Q~~_1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 78
  • !BWWCilgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLlzR(4BKW9twleYw~~_1.JPG
    !BWWCilgCGk~$(KGrHgoH-DoEjlLlzR(4BKW9twleYw~~_1.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 84
The jointer is used to make the tips of the teeth all the same height. It straddles the blade, and has a file that runs lengthwise down the tooth tips. It's used before sharpening.

As for the rakers, I'm not sure. They might be for filing the sides of the teeth prior to sharpening, though - just not sure.

jim is pretty close toni, the others are for sharpening the saw teeth,, and these are for croscut saws not hand saws.. the two handled or the one handled version..old but not real valueble.

Thats interesting Larry so would these tools still be in used today when or if guys were to use a two handed saw. By this i presume we are talking about the one where two guys man the saw one on each side of the tree tugging at each end via the handle.?

Interesting post Toni ..thanks always like to learn something new.

Last edited:
Toni,
Like others have said, the first is a jointer. The one pictured is missing the file that clamps into it. I have one just like this and do use it. When sharpening hand saws (not two man saws, but typical panel saws or back saws), the first task is to use the jointer to make sure all the teeth are the same height. This guides a file along the face of the blade, knocking down any "tall" teeth before you start sharpening with the small triangular file. It's not something that needs to be done each time you sharpen a saw, only when you've got a few rogue teeth to tame.
The other item, i've not seen before, but looks to me like a sharpening jig to make sure the filing angle is correct for both crosscut or rip saw sharpening. I do this freehand and have had good luck.
If you're planning on sharpening hand saws, i've found the jointer, a saw vise, and a saw set to be most useful. The saw vise clamps to a work bench and holds a 25 or 30 mm length of the blade with the teeth pointing up while you work on it. You can rig one up with some long wood scraps and a bench vise, but the saw vise is more convenient to use.
The saw set is a hand held tool that's essentially a specialty pliers. It has a small triangular jaw that pushes and bends one saw tooth slightly to the side. The other jaw is adjustable, allowing you to control the amount the tooth is bent over. You control the kerf of the blade. They're pretty common items on the used tool market. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding one at a reasonable price. The usual suspects made good versions - Stanley, EC Stearns, Millers Falls, etc.
Have fun with it. I'm a bit less comfortable with my handsaws than i am with my hand planes, though i do enjoy sharpening a nice old saw.
Paul Hubbman