Cedar Birdhouse

Larry Hibbs

This is another Cedar Birdhouse 9"wide 15" long . This was made for a friend at Church. Comments welcome good or bad. The pics leave a lot to be desired still working on them.
thanks
Larry

Attachments

• PICT0228 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0228 (Medium).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0231 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0231 (Medium).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 39
Larry,
Haven't done one myself, but love the form and finish... is this strictly for decor or will birds actually use a cedar birdhouse?? I have a bunch of cedar from some trees that the electric company took down for me.

Thanks Guys for all the comments and yes Chuck the birds will use a cedar house. Cedar is my favorite wood for the Birdhouses. I can't seem to get the time to get on here as much as I would like here lately,but I'm trying to do better.
thanks again
Larry

That looks real nice, Larry. I like the detailing in the bottom part. (Whatever the finial-like thing would be called.) Did you turn it from wet or dry wood? The last full-sized birdhouse I turned was done from a single chunk of green wood, and it split like a pair of 32" waist jeans on a 500 pound sumo wrestler. The gap was so wide I could have put a sliding glass patio door in it for the birds. :p

Vaughn it was turned from 3 pieces top middle and finial. The top spun off the lathe and bounced aroud the shop when the tenon broke in the chuck, I used my 8" jaws to rechuck turned another tenon and finished it. Then after hollowing the body I cut it off at the line for cleanout after putting it back together I was burning the line to hide it and the body broke in 3 pieces. :eek: I was lucky it split clean and I was able to glue it back and you can't see the splits. The finial was easy for a change. It was an interesting project.
thanks
Larry