Square platters/wallplaques

hello folks
Now i know that these pieces will not be to everyone's taste ...but i do enjoy making them and exploring the many different variations.
they are all olive ash some with ripple and are 3/4" to 1/2" thick and 10 to 16" wide. these were all turned on my vac chuck. they can be hung on the wall or displayed on plate stands.
any question or comments welcomed
P1020430.jpg

P1020436.jpg

P1020442.jpg

P1020447.jpg

P1020448.jpg

P1020454.jpg

P1020456.jpg

Very inspiring pieces George:thumb: as you mention that you are exploring what about at giving a try at offsetting the center depression? Or making them rectangular? I think it would open a thousand more possibilities.

George, I didn't care too much for the first platter but as I scrolled down things started to get much more interesting. Those are unique and deceptively complex pieces.

How did you achieve the spiral texture in the second piece?

I am assuming that the fourth piece had been painted white, right?

Love them George! :thumb:

Each time I see one of your post, I get ideas and want to head right to the lathe. To bad I'm at work right now. :(

Absolutely awesome, George! :eek:

I agree with Mohammad; the first one didn't do anything for me but as I scrolled down the rest of them just blew me away. :thumb: :wave:

Thanks for sharing, George. Beautiful, inspiring work. :)

I geally like em! I see you have a variety of textures, is that done on the lathe with one of those texturing tools?

sorry barry i missed this :doh:

some of the texture is done by using an abortech some is a result of burning then wire brushing- some of it i turn lots of very thin grooves then carve through them with a v tool then burn and wire brush.
on previous pieces i've got a metal workers round headed hammer and batterd them then set fire to them- somtimes i use a bag of nuts and bolts and again batter the surface to create a texture. theres loads of ways to get the desired effect.
some more energetic than others :D