box elder more pics

I found a tree that i didn't know what it was.Well after i started turning a piece i noticed it had a few streaks of red in it.It don't have a lot of red so i'm not sure if it is or not.
Question does any other tree have the bright red streaks in it?
Here is a pic of the piece on the lathe.

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hi Stephen,
Can't say for sure, but I'm relatively sure that box elder is the only wood that will get the red fungus.. called flame..

I found a log on the side of the road earlier this spring that had red streaks all through it... makes beautiful bowls.

Hard to say for sure from the picture, but it looks like it could be box elder. (Note that it's elder, not alder. Alder is a whole other wood species.) ;) Whatever it is, it looks real promising so far. :thumb:

Hi Stephen,
Can't say for sure, but I'm relatively sure that box elder is the only wood that will get the red fungus.. called flame..

I found a log on the side of the road earlier this spring that had red streaks all through it... makes beautiful bowls.
So chuck if i'm reading this right box elder should get better the longer it rots. They took down a number of these on our other job site, and just dozed them down back in a pile. The one i cut this from is about 24" at the butt. I guess i better bring my saw back to work with me and get some more.:doh:

Hard to say for sure from the picture, but it looks like it could be box elder. (Note that it's elder, not alder. Alder is a whole other wood species.) ;) Whatever it is, it looks real promising so far. :thumb:
Your right :doh: never was very good at this spelling thing,that's why i got the wife to keep me in check:rofl:She didn't proof read this one.:eek:

Steve, I think the red coloring in box elder happens while the tree is still alive. Unlike regular spalting, I don't think it improves with age.

(And I figured you already knew the difference between elder and alder. I just wanted to make sure any newbies got it straight.) ;) :)

i agree with the box elder having red while alive it doesnt get it from dying.. you can cut the logs yu have avaible to you and posibly find some more.. the trunk sections are the best place for it.

stephen,
From what I've read on the flame box elder, the red is caused by a fungus that gets into the tree and is the tree trying to combat the fungus.

your right on that chuck but it doesnt get any better after it is dead it happens while the tree is still alive.. after a BE dies its decays pretty fast.

Thanks for the clairification folks.learn something new everyday.
heres some pics of the tangled mess i got it from. the first pic is the rest of it, that i cut up today. The 2nd pic is a big red oak they tryed to burn. 4th pic is more of the tangled mess. 3rd pic is ofcorse my truck with the rest of the log cut up and ready to bring home.:D
Steve
edit file was to big on pic of tangled mess so had to redo. not sure if the #s are right but you get the drift.;)

Attachments

• 002 [640x480].JPG
    002 [640x480].JPG
    145 KB · Views: 24
  • 001 [320x200].JPG
    001 [320x200].JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 004 [640x480].JPG
    004 [640x480].JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 003 [320x200].JPG
    003 [320x200].JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 23
Stephen,
That looks like some great flame in those logs.. mine has streaks but doesn't bloom around the pith the way yours looks like it does..

Not to hijack your thread, but here is the pieces I found this spring...

Attachments

• The pile-a.JPG
    The pile-a.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 11
  • The load-a.JPG
    The load-a.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
  • wood4a.JPG
    wood4a.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 17