Ambo (Pulpit) Design

Don Baer

Staff member
While is the customer deciding which Altar design he likes best I figured on getting a headstart on the design of the pulpit. This design is a basic design and I am sure it will need a lot of tweeking. I have some Ideas but I am open to your suggestions. I'll be submitting several design for consideration and like I told him when I gave him the altar designs, at this point the designs are nothing more then electrons so change away. The demensions are roughly 34 wide by 19 Deep by 45 " tall in the front and 38" in the back. He asked for 2 shelves on the inside. Not shown and I also left a 1/2" lip on the bach so the book doesn't slide off. OK guys input, I need input.

Attachments

• Ambo1.skp
    52.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Ambo1.jpg
    Ambo1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
first thing i noticed was that the top of the side frames aren't arched like the front. looks kind of mismatched. it could also use a bit of a ledge around the top of the sides and front. what about adding a cross to the front?

something like that, but could you drop the back of the side arch, and have the arch run parallel to the angle of the side? say, is this church going to have a high altar as well as the one you're building?

you might want to check with them as to where they plan on putting the tabernacle, as this will be a box sort of affair, roughly 14"h X 14"w X 10-12" deep. it's used for storing the pyx with the hosts between masses.

you might want to check with them as to where they plan on putting the tabernacle, as this will be a box sort of affair, roughly 14"h X 14"w X 10-12" deep. it's used for storing the pyx with the hosts between masses.

There will be a nitch on the back wall where the tabernacle will be located. I'll try and put on the drawing where I show the layout.

Seems it may be "Somewhat" premature on the design until you get the changes he wants for a final design of the Altar, "IF" the Pulpit is going to match in Style with the Altar, (which I would think it would need to), but maybe I'm wrong.:dunno:

Don,

I have been in some churches where they have a small banner that hangs on the front of the lectern, which changes with the church year. If they want something like that, it'll need some hooks or hangars for that.

Does there need to be allowance for lights or microphones?
Laptop hookup?

Personally I would reduce the reading angle, it seems a bit sharp to me. I'm used to lecterns with a flatter angle. That is probably more a question for them when you show them the design -- what angle do they prefer.

The biggest challenge I see is that there is no allowance for height adjustment when you have a boxy lectern like that. We have two pastors in our church right now, and there is about 10" difference in height between them. Our lectern is also fixed, but I know they would like to have at least some height adjustment.

best,
...art