Bowl for a friend

Ken Ward

This is an Ambrosia bowl that I made for a friends wife.Well I didn't make it for em,but while they were visiting us from SC a while back,his misses took a liking to it and beings he just dropped off about nine African mahogany boards ranging from 3 1/2 thick x 6" to 9" wide,all 8 ft long,I just waited till he got home,finished it an sent it.he's making me a captured hollowing rig.It measures 15 X 4" finished w/a danish oil ( I mix it) beal buffed then a coat of carnuba wax.

Bernie
Now you may continue with your pic's :rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• wizz bowl.jpg
    wizz bowl.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 52
Sounds like you have some fine friends there.
Your gift exchanges are, clearly, an expression of mutual love and respect.
BTW, as a side note ;) that bowl is very nice and will be appreciated.

Yup Rev,thats where I did it.

Ambrosia is ( I think ) just a fungus or a bug that puts the color in wood.I love turnin it.I have a WHOLE bunch of them roughed out,ready to finish.Wish I could explain it better.

...Ambrosia is ( I think ) just a fungus or a bug that puts the color in wood...

You're right on both counts. :) Ambrosia beetles attack dead wood (they apparently like maple a lot) and deposit fungal spores (ambrosia fungus) in the wood. The fungus grows and becomes food for the beetles. This fungus is what causes the unique staining pattern.

I didn't realize it until just now, but there are over 3000 species of beetles that use the ambrosia fungus as their nutrition.

Way more than you probably want to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_beetle