Handle/knob selection for bowsaw

Dominic Greco

Hi gang,
I finished making (2) sets of handles/knobs for the bowsaw (along with the toggles) I'm making for my buddy and wanted to get some feedback on them from y'all.

bowsawMkIIIHandles.jpg

bowsawMkIIIHandles2.jpg

I turned one set from Cherry and the other from Walnut. I know my buddy likes both. However, just be be different I went and Ebonized the walnut using a mix of steel wool and vinegar. The finish on all items is multiple layers of garnet shellac and a coat of wax.

I think the ebonized walnut will look awesome because of the contrast. But I know that once the cherry ages it will also provide a nice contrast. I can't really ask my friend without spoiling the surprise. So some input would be appreciated.

I'm supposed to bring this bowsaw with me when I go over to his house on Saturday. Decisions, decisions, decisions!
yellowbiggrin.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

Dom,

I concur with what looks to be the majority. The added contrast of the ebonized walnut is striking. Good job on both.

Regards,

You could paint them, yes, PAINT them PINK and I'd be happy with them :D

I think they both look great, the ebonized one would be my pick, if I had one :wave:

Thanks! choice has been made

Thanks for all the input everyone. I appreciate the responses.

While a tally of the "votes" (here and on another ww'ing forum) clearly indicates a preference toward the walnut I've decided to use the cherry knobs.

During a discussion today I learned that my friend favors cherry. So I guessed that gives me an idea what he'd like.
yellowbiggrin.gif