Paul's little place

Paul B Cresti

Well folks it me again and I figured I would give my little tour of my place. Definately not in the same league as Tod's place but I can get some decent work done there. One thing you will notice is...it ain't clean! I am organized (everything has its place) but I refuse to keep the place "clean". I will warn you if you ever come by and visit you WILL get dirty..... oh by the way I do have a vernier caliper too! but just do not tell anyone ;) Oh by the way can you guess what particular brand I like?

Attachments

• Cnv0148.jpg
    Cnv0148.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Cnv0149.jpg
    Cnv0149.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Cnv0150.jpg
    Cnv0150.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Cnv0151.jpg
    Cnv0151.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Cnv0093.jpg
    Cnv0093.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Cnv0155.jpg
    Cnv0155.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Cnv0156.jpg
    Cnv0156.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Cnv0157.jpg
    Cnv0157.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Cnv0158.jpg
    Cnv0158.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Cnv0159.jpg
    Cnv0159.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 194
Don,
Nope it is a ...Grizzly. I got it about 8 years or so ago. Nothing special it spins a bit. Definatley a bit small to my liking but I just do not use it all that much

Thanks for thr tour Paul. You have a very efficient looking set up. Don't worry about clean - clean is bad!! I would far rather see a shop that looks like somebody uses it.

On the shaper - are those infeed/outfeed rollers on extending rods? Is that a standard item offered by minimax - I have never seen them on any of their machines over here.

Again - thanks for posting.

thanks paul! i could feel right at home in your shop............if only it was a little more disorganized:D .......tod

Ian,
Yes those are infeed / outfeed rollers. I added those after purchase. I also added the outrigger arm and outrigger table (the same system you will see on their small sliders and new small combo). I have used that set up to do tenoning, cope & stick, etc.....basically it is some what similiar to Tod's setup except his is all cast iron, huge castings, and oh maybe 200-300lbs heavier! My shaper is no cupcake but it is not a Formula machine either. Since I added my little power feeder it is a very versatile machine and suits my very low production needs nicely.

Tod....actually those pictures are when the shop is clean..... you should see it now!

I liked you better when you had the Agazzani.:) After all, you are the one that convinced me to buy one. But I can tell you for sure I'm not converting to MM.

Nice setup Paul. That's a pretty impressive bandsaw you have there! I was just looking at the MM16 on their website. What reason did you go for the 24"? Do you do alot of resawing.

Doug

Nice setup Paul. That's a pretty impressive bandsaw you have there! I was just looking at the MM16 on their website. What reason did you go for the 24"? Do you do alot of resawing.

Doug

Doug,
Before I got the MM24 I had a Agazzani B24 since 2000. I upgraded then from a Jet14". Funny thing back then resawing was not an issue for it was hitting the stinking post as I cut curves (a lot of the pieces I design & fabricate have long sweeping curves) I had ordered a 20" saw but at the last second went for the 24 and never looked back.

After having it around for awhile I started to do a lot of resawing and gained more of an appreciation of having a saw with a very large table. I now use my saw from resawing for veneer to resawing boards instead of planing 'till the cows come home to rough ripping. I think one thing that a lot of people forget is the bandsaw can be one heck of a ripping machine and is relatively safe...much safer than a cabinet saw. When I have a lot of ripping to do I will rough rip on the bandsaw and then run all of those pieces through my planer for final dimensioning...very quick and it involves about 0 brain activity. If you can afford the money and the space most definately get a larger saw as the table surface is nice.

Steve, what does all those little blue smilely faces mean?

Doug,
Before I got the MM24 I had a Agazzani B24 since 2000. I upgraded then from a Jet14". Funny thing back then resawing was not an issue for it was hitting the stinking post as I cut curves (a lot of the pieces I design & fabricate have long sweeping curves) I had ordered a 20" saw but at the last second went for the 24 and never looked back.

After having it around for awhile I started to do a lot of resawing and gained more of an appreciation of having a saw with a very large table. I now use my saw from resawing for veneer to resawing boards instead of planing 'till the cows come home to rough ripping. I think one thing that a lot of people forget is the bandsaw can be one heck of a ripping machine and is relatively safe...much safer than a cabinet saw. When I have a lot of ripping to do I will rough rip on the bandsaw and then run all of those pieces through my planer for final dimensioning...very quick and it involves about 0 brain activity. If you can afford the money and the space most definately get a larger saw as the table surface is nice.

Steve, what does all those little blue smilely faces mean?

Thanks for the advice Paul. A drill press and bandsaw are my next major tool purchase. I'll keep that in mind.

Doug

Paul,
Would the swing arm be strong enough to support my power feeder on my 410? I currently have it on a hinged bracket, but it gets in the way. The new swing arm on the Technomax looks very good.

Brian

Brian,
What swing arm? :dunno: I thought the new Technomax came with a swing arm assembly. From what I heard from Sam, who has the 410 elite S in its full blown version, is that the swing arm is quite stout....I personally have never seen it or know anything about it. I personally am suspicous of the swing arm supports for feeders. I know my big Maggi can exert an awful lot of downward pressure and the reverse is true inregards to the table. Unless I have seen in person the power feeder bracket/arm and how it works I would stay away from them. If you sholud get one let me know how it works...as I then might be swayed to add one to my T50 shaper and be able to free up the surface for free hand/contour shaping

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Paul. A drill press and bandsaw are my next major tool purchase. I'll keep that in mind.

Doug

doug, i`ll chime in in pauls shop tour thread about bandsaws.....sorry paul:eek:
be sure to add horsepower to the equation! just like any other piece of equipment once you get comfortable using it you`ll start pushing it to work harder and this equals a larger horsepower drain......tod

Paul,

Lot of MM, for certain, and nothing wrong with that! Nice looking shop. Good color coordination! <LOL!>

Last edited: