Jonathan's Shop

Yep, it is happening. I have for years wanted to get out of the garage for various reasons. It is crowded and getting more crowded, it isn't "MY" space so subject to anyone putting stuff where they want and use what they want for whatever reason.:( On our farm we have a small building originally a drive thru corncrib (for ear corn) built in the '40's. We have used it for equipment storage, tie area (with furnace blower for air movement) for the girl's 4H calves, and various other ideas. Well, I have finally decided to get it completed and in use by this winter.:D Projects are piling up and the garage is uninsulated and quite chilly in the winter. So, insulation, wiring, flooring, roofing (holes for loading crib with corn currently in roof!), doors, exterior walls, interior walls. This is not a large building, it is 22'X22'. 12' eaves. Rotted sills, rotted studs, plenty of opportunities for practicing rough carpentry! So, hang with me as I try to document this process and make it understandable. A lot of things have to happen, stuff moved out, lean to full of stickered rough cut cherry, maple, ash, beech, walnut, oak, and other fine cuts of wood need moved so the exterior South wall can be completed. My grandfather was an orphan, so I don't know my ancestry on his side, might be polish, been accused of it from time to time. Also bred and born a redneck so many "novel" ideas may be used to get roughed in for winter. Oh, I should add, I am cheap. If my horse can't turn on a dime and hand me five cents change, I will sell him and go to the next one!!:rofl::rofl:
Anyway, will try to start posting pictures tomorrow evening and let you see what I am starting with, where I hope to end up, and of course you will see all of the junk (treasures! ;) I have to do something with.
This will not be a Marty build. This is for my hobby of working with wood, sneaking in a reloading bench, and a place to hang and cut up deer out of the weather. And my youngest got engaged two weeks ago so costs have to stay at a minimum as I am delegating money to a wedding for next May!:thumb::thumb:
Questions and comments are always welcome. Depending on my mood and how I interpret them will determine if I answer in the public forum or PM you directly!:rolleyes::eek::huh::rofl:
So, crawl in, sit down, hang on, we'll go on this ride together and see what we come up with. I appreciate and respect all the opinions as I know nothing! It is part of my dream coming true and quite honestly, I have had a very good life and this is a continuation of it. So, pics tomorrow, this is just my introduction of this complex project. Around this project is my day to day farm operation, finishing putting the FFA barn at the county fairgrounds to bed for the year, bus inspection, start of school and training two horses, a three year old stallion (App) and a six year old gelding (buckskin).

Last edited:
Congratulations Jonathan:congrats::clap: Let me be the first to say i will gladly help with removal of the clutter. Now shall we start with all that wood you said was taking up space.:rofl:

Oh and i can help you with the long list of essentials.

Heater choice? Bar fridge choice? Aircon choice ...well that can wait till next summer i guess. Oh how about the floor. and new windows and on and on oh and dont forget while you at it the new electrical panel with 220v outlets.....etc etc

Enjoy the dream and finishing it. As LOML said to me dont just head for the end goal enjoy the ride. Take it easy and enjoy everything about it.

And take lots of pictures. I found them to be most worthwhile when i was looking for an electrical outlet i had buried beneath the drywall.:rofl::rofl:

best of luck.:thumb:

...Also bred and born a redneck so many "novel" ideas may be used to get roughed in for winter...

The first two building supplies on your list:

duct-tape-3m.jpg

200711161649590.jpg

:p

Looking forward to watching the build, Jon. :thumb:

The first two building supplies on your list:

Looking forward to watching the build, Jon. :thumb:

Aha!!!!!!! So THAT'S where my wire and tape got off to, Vaughn had it.:doh:

Better keep a watch out for Vaughn, Johnathan, 'cause he's a Sneaky Devil, ya know.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Boy, with your to do list, you're sure going to have to hurry if you get er done 'fore tha snow falls.:D

one thing about it ,,he is gonna get the prize for being conservative this is just what he said a old corn crib ,,,saw it once and am surprized its still standing:) must be the stone pilliars its on:):D:thumb: after this he wil be the one to ask on how to renovate old structures into useable space:thumb:

Ugly pictures

Upon completion of this build, this building will be structurally sound once again. Quite honestly, it isn't in bad shape considering it was built in the early '40's. Native timber off of the farm was used (mainly oak). So some repair is expected. This is a drive thru corn crib, walls are slatted so air can pass thru and the corn can breathe instead of rotting. The North and South sides held the ear corn, the sides were loaded thru the roof, three holes per side and they have been leaking since I bought the farm in '92.

Here is the building I am converting. Would be kind of drafty in its present condition to leave as is for turning in the winter!
1. East wall.JPG

This is the South side, notice the slatted walls for ventilation. Also notice about 2/3's of the way down, the opening has angled boards, to close that hole, boards are slipped in those angled openings and when it comes time to remove corn, you can pull some boards to start pulling corn out of the crib (tie your pants legs shut, mice also tend to come out!)
4a. South interior wall I.JPG

This is the North wall, same as the South, I have cut a larger opening making the side more accessable/useable. Notice the cement sills?!
2. North interior wall.JPG

Skylights? Nope, the holes where the elevator dropped the corn into the crib. Then covers were placed over. They leaked and a couple were actually missing. So the wooden floor under and around them was in poor to terrible condition.
Skylight.JPG

Last edited:
Dan, pictures are starting to be posted. Don't pay attention to the date on the picture, don't know how to stop the dad blasted light from blinking on my VCR and can't get the date changed on the pictures!

Rob, I am limited in my electrical choices as my whole farm runs off of a 60 amp service. We are a little conservative in our use and what is being used at one time. Not quite as bad as Green Acres with the number system, but close.

Vaughn, HA HA :rofl::rofl:, just finished the county fair and those two items did come out of the back floorboards of the cab of my truck (to important to leave in the bed!).

Norman, my future son in law bet my dad that we would have it enclosed, exterior walls, insulation, interior walls, floor, service door, garage door, ceiling by September 20th of this year! Full cut steaks, 1/2 inch thick, medium, they cover a serving platter. Two people can eat most of one! Three of these babies will set us back with coffee and salads $110.65 (dad took us out to show SIL what he was going to buy!!!) Somehow I got on SIL side so if lose, I pay half. It will be a push, but think doable. Only have four bulls to castrate, 100 more large bales of hay to put under roof, oh, and have to finish that lean to roof also! Roof is this Saturday's project as I have to haul hay in Monday!

Stu, thanks, 22'X22', not large by anyone's standards except yours of course!!

Tom, for some reason I think I am going to need your well wishes!

Larry, yes I do have a bench top already (thank you very much!!!!) told you I would use it someday!!!!

Glenn, I hope you find it a good ride!

Jeff, keep an eye on the salt intake on all of that there popcorn!!!!!!!

Dave, they should be where you can see them now. Not much, but cheaper than starting from scratch!

Okay, now we are going to start getting a little dirty. The building measures 22' X 22'. So space will still be a premium, obviously, the interior walls have to go. So I started with the North wall. A picture of the North interior wall just to get you oriented.:)
2. North interior wall.JPG

Second picture, this is between the interior wall and exterior wall (the space the corn filled) and it had a wooden floor, lot of weight, large floor joists needed. Here is a shot of the floor removed and the joists still somewhat in place.:rolleyes:
2b. North West corner minus floor.JPG

Third picture, okay hang on here is some major rot. Native timber for the sill plate is gone, bottom of stud, gone. Hmmmmmmmmm. Good thing I own a DeWalt deconstruction saw, I call it a sawzall.:eek:
2e. North wall sill.JPG

Last picture, yep, supposed to be a sill plate there! :huh:
2d. North wall stud rot.JPG

So far so good. Nothing I can't handle or have the equipment to handle.

To get you thinking ahead so discussion can take place. Flooring. Thinking 2"X6" pine screwed onto treated 2"X2" "runners" on top of raised sand floor. Vapor barrier needed under treated runners? Visqueen?(type of clear plastic, don't know if it is a trade name but when I ask around here for it, all know it without hesitation). The pine will be beveled and then a 1/2" rubber matt will go over hopefully the whole floor. I am tired and my knees, back and feet hate concrete by the time I get done teaching on it all day. In my old age, I want a more user friendly floor.

Last edited:
Johnathan, here's a couple of my thoughts. As soon as you get the interior walls removed, I would definitely do ALL the Roof repairs First so the inside will stay dry, then get the outside wall framing repaired and sheathed, so it is dried in. As to the floor, from my experience, the 2" x 2" pressure treated lumber is a total waste, 'cause it will bow and twist like a pretzel and sure won't do anything to keep the floor flat or level. I would much rather have 1" x 6" pine fastened to 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 floor joists, and at 22' across I would want some concrete blocking under each end and at the center of each joist. If you DO however, lay it all down only on built up sand, mix a little "cement" in the sand to stabilize it and use a vibrating compactor on it just like you should before putting down pavers, IF, you want the floor to remain flat and level without sags in places later.

Note: The value of the thoughts above are worth exactly what you paid for them.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: So........ Keep on Keeping on.:thumb:

i agree with norman jon on the dryun in part.. as for the floor i too would go a joist and then wood on top of the joist, set your joist on the outside walls you now have and run a center support to shotren your span to around 11ft run another stub concrete wall there at the center or yu can use pole and carriers. run your joists on 16" centers and use 3/4 T&G ply or advantac osb..solide floor wood soft for the legs and above ground away from rot troubles.. the insulation could be put in the floor before you put down the ply.. the floor without insulation will be cold.. just another idea jon

I will add my 5cents for what its worth. I would do what i did. Put down a concrete floor then top it with 2x6 pressure treated layed flat space 16 inches apart and fill the space between with solid pink 1 1/2 inch insulation. Then vapor barrier over that lot and 3/4 ply on top. Mine if fir one side to make the finish a little nicer.

This way, no rot ever and no worries about anthing below you.

I would however think about some underfloor dust collection ducts and electrical conduits to the center (something i did not do but now intend to lift some flooring and put in an electrical run to the center.

You already have the concrete stub walls as side boards to hold a pour and you probably have some good contacts to get the concrete quick and cheap and just round up a few students to help the project speed along.

My floor is nice and cozy in the winter and easy on the feet. Oh and my shop was exactly 22x22 until i accomodated the politics of building it and lost 4ft to a porch.:rofl::rofl:

Hey Jonathan just to educate this city slicker what was the corn stored in the corn crib used for? Same thing Travis would do...feed it to the cows????

Well good ideas all on the floor except I am out of money.:(:( Have to use what I have for the building I want. I have never had a Cadillac so don't expect to build one now. Vapor barrier is a good idea and one I have attacked. (will come up later:thumb:)

Okay, here are a few more pictures. Need to do some resizing as others I selected were to large. So will try to get to that tonight possibly. Caught and cleaned some bass the other night so mom and dad are coming for fish tonight for supper. Did you know it is highly suggested that when stocking a pond you stock 20 bluegill/crappie to 1 bass? So my 5:1 ratio didn't work, do have only 9-10 inch bluegill left!!:doh: So am going to remove and eat 30 bass as I originally put in 500 bluegill from 4-10 inches and 100 bass from 12-26 inches.

2g. North wall hanging.JPG

First picture is the rot cut out. Took the sill out, bolts unbolted without breaking!!!!!:thumb:

3c. North West corner repair II.JPG

Second picture is the repair in the corner. Laid down roofing felt for moisture barrier and used a treated 2X6 for sill plate. The picture of the stud repair needs resized so will post that later today early tomorrow.

5f. West wall repair I.JPG

Third picture is of the outside of the same North West corner of the building. I used a treated 4X4 for the sill plate from concrete footer to concrete footer.

3eNorth roof completed.JPG

Last picture, no more skylights. Originally planned on removing some of the old sheets to tie in the North side to make it more visually appealing, but was going to have to tear off half of the roof to get the correct panels of roofing. So, plan B. It actually rained a little two days ago when I got this completed, no leaks. But am waiting for this mini drought we are in to end so it can be tested for real.

Moving wood today out of the lean to. Got to get back at it. Thanks for reading and conversing with me. Hey next spring, Family Wood Workers meet here, will cook a hog you all bring yourselves and side dishes.

Last edited: