Jonathan's Shop

:clap::clap::clap::clap::congrats: Mighty fine accomplishment in such a short time, and :thumb: on your Good decision to add the Fire extinguisher and First Aid Kit and mount them so they have a permanent Place and are easily accessible. Now you can take time to catch your breath a little 'fore Pressing on as you have time. I'd say you have given yourself a pretty NICE Birthday Present.:thumb::D

Bought two at a yard sale. They are out of date for a public place but the fireman told me to every now and again, turn it upside down and hit it a couple of times on the bottom with a rubber mallet. Keeps the powder loose.
Thanks for riding along Norman and all of the good advice.

I notice the lack of metal on the front. Is that getting painted to match the house? Or did you just not want metal on the front of the shop?

Amazing progress, Jonathan, and a testament to what can be achieved by some good old frugality and a can-do attitude. My hat's off to you!

If I painted it, it wouldn't match the house!!:rofl::rofl:
I put the 2" rough cut on the front on the bottom, just thought it would wear better and be more appropriate for a woodshop. Metal on the peak. I am/have been in the process of metaling the sides of the house also. I hate yearly maintenance/painting.

Thanks, it has come a little ways hasn't it!? I think I am going to enjoy working in it for years to come. Looking forward to the first snow day this year and me being in there warm and cozy and doing some work.

Jon you have any food plots planted or corn piles out back. Looks like a great place to sit around and shot the breeze and any deer or turkeys that may walk by. :D:thumb:

Dave, I have created a diverse area and am surrounded by a large woods (40-45 acres), a farmed field (corn/beans rotation 60 acres) and then a CRP (conservation reserve program farm 150 acres). I have a small pond (about an acre) will grow more in the next few years, and then pasture for the cattle. Of course need salt blocks for the cattle, and we planted apple and pear trees at the South end of the pond. Next year all surrounding fields if they follow the rotation will be soybeans so I am going to tear up a couple of pastures and plant corn as the ground needs it as well as my crib is empty of ear corn. Turkeys, yep, have on camera 3 toms that are buddies in one group, four hens and probably 15 chicks with them of various sizes. We have two bachelor herds of bucks cruising through the NorthWest corner in the early morning hours (catching them on the trail camera). Six in that group, 2-8 pointers, 2 spikes, a short tined 4 pointer, a long tined 4 pointer. I have a ten pointer that is alone, and a new long/wide tined 8 pointer by his lonesome showed up on the trail camera last week!! Does, we have had up to 50 in a group in the back pasture at one time, the kids took pictures this spring, in one picture with the widest angle, we counted 26 deer in the picture. I am more of a meat hunter, I am planning on taking four does. We have brush piles and do have a few rabbits running around. Coons in the back, possums I shoot any near the house or that I see when mowing pastures, they and coons are great rabies carriers and make a mess out of hay stacks (they aren't house broke!).
The new pier on the pond is an excellent spot to sit and shoot the bull. Anytime my friend, anytime!

Dave, I have created a diverse area and am surrounded by a large woods (40-45 acres), a farmed field (corn/beans rotation 60 acres) and then a CRP (conservation reserve program farm 150 acres). I have a small pond (about an acre) will grow more in the next few years, and then pasture for the cattle. Of course need salt blocks for the cattle, and we planted apple and pear trees at the South end of the pond. Next year all surrounding fields if they follow the rotation will be soybeans so I am going to tear up a couple of pastures and plant corn as the ground needs it as well as my crib is empty of ear corn. Turkeys, yep, have on camera 3 toms that are buddies in one group, four hens and probably 15 chicks with them of various sizes. We have two bachelor herds of bucks cruising through the NorthWest corner in the early morning hours (catching them on the trail camera). Six in that group, 2-8 pointers, 2 spikes, a short tined 4 pointer, a long tined 4 pointer. I have a ten pointer that is alone, and a new long/wide tined 8 pointer by his lonesome showed up on the trail camera last week!! Does, we have had up to 50 in a group in the back pasture at one time, the kids took pictures this spring, in one picture with the widest angle, we counted 26 deer in the picture. I am more of a meat hunter, I am planning on taking four does. We have brush piles and do have a few rabbits running around. Coons in the back, possums I shoot any near the house or that I see when mowing pastures, they and coons are great rabies carriers and make a mess out of hay stacks (they aren't house broke!).
The new pier on the pond is an excellent spot to sit and shoot the bull. Anytime my friend, anytime!

I think I need to get out into the country this weekend...sounds like heaven Jonathan...and I'm not even a hunter. :thumb:

Okay, while the pictures are downloading let me ramble for a bit. Thanks a lot to everyone who has commented, you do not realize the help it has been. Thanks to all of you!!!! The bet is over, my dad conceded, Eric doesn't know it yet, think it is Oct. 3rd when we go eat the steak and let Eric and Tess in on the joke and let them off of the hook on buying supper (or half of it!):eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:. It is Friday night, fought the rain (the rain won) but got cattle fed, was wet, came in. Otherwise, a few hours here and there, and here is what has gotten accomplished. Tomorrow, Eric is supposed to show up, I have the two beams glued and nailed together, need his help on one end to lift them into place. When we get them in, will go back and find the old picture that will help me explain why I felt the need for two beams. Then with time remaining, I have the small sheets for the sides as well as the insulation cut, so that should go fast. Then hopefully we get the center insulated and sheeted. If so, I am going to get the primer rolled on Sunday. Tomorrow is a short day as we are going to a wild game dinner about forty miles away at an American Legion. The temp has dropped with the rain, we are down to fifty eight degrees from seventy in about an hour. Monday supposed to be a high of sixty. Those deer will go into rut about shotgun season with this temp behavior! :thumb: Okay, pictures loaded, here we go, hang on! :doh:

Now some of you might find this hard to imagine, but our farm only has 60 amp service. We eventually are going to upgrade, but not yet. Anyway, here is the breaker box I had purchased for the house upgrade. Yeah, I'll get another one for the house. 100 amp, breakers, not those screw in fuses! I will be utilizing the extension cord method for a little while yet. An older gentleman that is a practicing electrician, will hire him to check the box and connect it up. I anticipate mid to end of November for this.
100 amp.jpg

Here is the first beam completed. 2x6 glued to 7/16 OSB. Two needed, two completed. Hope to put them in place tomorrow without incident.
Beam.jpg

Oh boy, it gets warm in this new shop without the big door open. The fan was running on low, amazing picture, looks like the blades are not moving :huh: don't know how I did that.
Cool air.jpg

In the event I haven't shown this, this is my HF DC. It SUCKS!!!! I am amazed and use it for an overglorified vacumn right now. It is going to be used every time I work in that new shop!!:thumb::thumb:
DC together.jpg

This is my labor saver in making the beams. I hadn't used this nail gun in a few years since putting my addition on the house. Hooked it up, ran like a charm. It sure has been worth however many dimes I put out for it.
Labor saver.jpg

Okay, the little red ramp wasn't getting it watching my dad and a couple other older men I look up to weave and wander. I feared for their safety. So, put this little porch/steps together. Originally gave myself two boards on the top but the bottom step was only one board wide. So, put two other 4x4's under the step and attached another bottom step. Of course then it called for a railing. Put it only on one side. So when carrying in long boards through this door, the board won't get hung on the railing and something in the shop. They are portable but very stable. A lot of oak trees create a lot of oak leaves.
Steps:porch.jpg

A couple of reasons I wanted a wood wall. First, what is a woodshop without wood wall?:dunno: Plus, I have about three or four racks I thought of hanging and they just look better on wood than on a metal wall. Dont'cha think?:dunno: The one on the left is a Starke County, Indiana buck, my dad found this morel (sponge mushroom (THE ONLY mushroom!)):thumb::thumb: Years ago. When their house burnt down, this survived for some reason, it was on the back garage wall. The other deer is a fallow deer rack. Bought it off of a student not having seen it, wanting a rack for pen blanks, couldn't bring myself to cut it up. So here it is.
Deer racks.jpg

Besides air movement, this new shop gets dark quick!! So for time being until the ceiling is painted, this pair of lights has to do the job!
Need light.jpg

And for those interested, the date and time are set correctly on my trail camera so the pictures do tell the true time of day and date. This is a set of toms that have spent the summer. Notice the beard hanging from the neck/chest of the tom to the right.
3 Toms.jpg

Al, in the event you are reading, this lone 8 pointer came through after you and I set up the camera. He is a shooter. When my daughter sees him, he will have a mental target on him from her also!!
8 pt.jpg

Well there you have the pictures of the work completed after getting home from driving bus and from getting chores completed. Going to try to button it up this weekend, will get pictures and post when possible. Thanks for coming along, as always, comments, suggestions, critiques always welcomed and generally answered!!! :doh::rofl::rofl: Til then, :wave::wave:.

Let's see, we left off a couple of weeks ago with the steak dinner. I know, a few days have gone by. But hey, I have been to Michigan, met with family there!!! Hitting it hard on the farm, GOT A PICTURE OF AN 11 POINT BUCK AL WHERE WE PUT THE TRAIL CAM!!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmm, got to get the last two stands put up this week. One barn cleaned of all manure, big barn about half way. Now these are old barns, low ceilings, small doors, this is hand/pitchfork work at its best!
I have pictures from the night of the steak dinner. Let's make sure you know all the participants. Eric (will be SIL I (he asked first for the youngest daughter!)) marrying daughter number two, Tess. My dad, Carl and my mom, Wanda. Eric and Dad are the instigators of this whole shebang/bet situation I found myself in! My nephew and his wife and son and daughter. My oldest daughter, Fina (rhymes with china) and her man, Rob (SIL II (hey, he asked just the other week, so he by calendar is II)). Also then, my wife Lou Ann and grandson CJ (Fina is his mom).

End of the table, my Dad and CJ (Dad's great grandson). They share names, Carl and CJ stands for Carl James. They tend to get along and enjoy the moment.
Dad and CJ.jpg

My Mom standing, Wanda, my nephew's wife, and my youngest daughter, Tess.
Mom, Ang, Tess.jpg

Me, talking as usual. To my right is Fina's intended, Rob.
Me and SIL II.jpg

This is my nephew that got me the garage door and tried to slow us down per orders from my Dad! Didn't work!! He bought my Grandparent's home and is rebuilding/adding on to it. Good thing also, he has found some big problems that were taken care of before snowloads and such. He is handy and is more like a little brother than a nephew.
Newt and family.jpg

Rob, Fina and CJ.
Rob, Fina and CJ.jpg

Tess and her intended, Eric, the guy behind the bet with my Dad!!!
Tess and Eric (SIL I).jpg

Here is one shot of the steak.
Steak.jpg

Here is the steak as it comes from the kitchen, folded and toothpicked together.
Folded steak.jpg

They cheated the picture!! They bought new plates and they are larger! That is more than one meal for the average person. Mom and Dad split one, Tess and Eric split one, Rob and Fina split one, Nephew and wife split one, Lou Ann and I split one. There were foam boxes still taken home for lunches the next day.
Steak unfolded.jpg

Besides steak, they make THE best onion rings. In fact, taking Mom and Dad there this coming Friday night, heard they have green pepper (mango) rings also that are delicious. So may order a plate of them.
Onion Rings.jpg

Well, today was Tess's birthday, had Eric here so had the three pieces of OSB to put up in the center. Yep, after dinner, put him to work!!!!! People, it is buttoned up!!!!!! There are some trim pieces to put in, want to box the beam with rough cut wood, have the rubber to put on the center floor as well as various other things. But it is roughed in!!! Weather tight!!!! Man oh man have we come a long ways!!!!! Thank you one and all for riding along. Now the fun stuff, prime, paint, hang lights, run wires and then start placing equipment!!! After all, I do need to get started on whatever it is I am going to build for the person I am told to build for. This has been one exciting summer build. You all might not realize, you all have been loads of help, experience and some entertainment along the way!!!!!! Okay, pictures have loaded, sit down, hang on, heeeeeeeerrrrreeee weeeeee gooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were two interior walls, they were on concrete footers, I would assume they were loadbearing walls. So built a beam, put two 4x4's at each end, there will be another 4x4 installed under each one somewhere along the length. Also, plan on framing the two beams with rough cut wood to enhance their looks.
Beam installed.jpg

This is the ceiling as of last week. From the eaves to the beams were complete on both sides, then from the beam towards the peak one sheet (4x8 OSB) wide on each side the whole length. This left the peak open, I had a couple of ideas so didn't get carried away with finishing this.
Ceiling center open.jpg

I am not an engineer, but figure I removed load bearing walls, replaced them with the beam we looked at and discussed earlier. But figured it wouldn't hurt to put some type of "tie" brace at the peak. Plus, for the "look" and ease of sheeting, I cut and air nailed these cross braces which I called rafter ties (might not be the correct terminology) (didn't think they were actually gussets as I always think of gussets as plywood glued and nailed on a truss). Anyway, from one end to the other, each and every rafter got a tie nailed on. Hmmmm, did this make the rafters become officially trusses??
Rafter Centers.jpg

With the tie braces installed, I went through and installed the insulation I used on the interior walls and ceiling of the shop. Some of it is pieced, at $17.00 a sheet, I had one bundle of eight pieces I could return if I didn't cut into it, so, scrapped and scrounged and got an airtight insulated ceiling and returned that last bundle of insulation back to the lumber yard yesterday after getting my flu shot.
Ceiling center insulated.jpg

I did not want to even attempt to try to match up the cut edges. So I cut the center piece 1 1/2 inches wider on each long side so it lapped the pieces of ceiling already screwed onto the rafters. Using six inch long screws and fender washers, I pulled that center right up and it gives the illusion of being in a gambrel roofed building. I like it!!!
Ceiling completed I.jpg

Here is the East end of the ceiling.
Ceiling completed II.jpg

Here is a shot of the North East corner of the shop as it was today at the completion of the last ceiling sheet. Lou Ann came out to see how we were doing and to thank Eric for helping as she is afraid of heights and knew she was going to end up on that scaffold holding a sheet for me!!!!
North East corner done.jpg

Here is a shot of the North West corner, two shop lights hung up, floor fan put back in pony barn, halogen lights ready to be put back in machine shed, these two do a wonderful job of lighting the interior already. Can't wait to see it once the priming and painting of the ceiling is completed.
North West corner done.jpg

South East corner as it is right now, kind of weird, shop seems roomier without that last bundle of insulation being in this corner.
South East corner done.jpg

South West corner, very small stack of OSB left. I really like the way it has come out.
South West corner done'.jpg

Not the largest shop, not the fanciest shop, not a finished shop, but folks it is mine. It has been a blast keeping track of this build. Thank you for the opportunity and for the encouragement (after you all got over your initial shock of that original building I planned on renovating!!!!!). You have provided information that I have ruminated and some have even used. If I did not take your advice, well, I have been years running this through my mind, I am kind of set in my ways, if I did use your advice, well, that was an area I wasn't sure of yet. Do like the floor better than I would have the original idea. Am glad the primer is not causing the OSB to peel. Well, supposed to warm up this week, primer, roller and paint is here and waiting. How long do I need to wait or what is a good way to check if the primer is ready for the application of the paint?

Hey Al!!! Did you read, got a picture of a new buck on the farm, an eleven pointer!!!! Way wider than his ears and very nice length on the tines. Angle of the picture distorts him a little so hoping for another picture tonight. He cruised through at five am. Oh, also, just to let you know, Lilly made it in the back porch for the winter if she doesn't ruin it with any bad behavior!!! :thumb::thumb: Boy did she lay a guilt trip on Lou!!!!! Hope things are going well, yeah, it is roughed in. Now on to tool layout!:eek::eek::huh:

It's really looking good Jonathan.
Those collar ties add alot of strength and stiffness to your roof, even up near the peak and also reduce the tendency of "spreading" in your bearing walls. I'm assuming you have to consider some snow load there as much as we do here.
The beams are a good idea too. While you're in the building process, you might want to consider putting some good stout eye bolts up through the beams at reasonable intervals. You could just unscrew your ceiling to get the nut on the eyebolt from above. They wouldn't be for heavy lifting, but they're really handy for light hoisting and suspending stuff, drying wires for finishing projects etc. A couple of them with some simple rigging might even hold that buck :)
One more thing, are you going to ventilate the gable ends of that little "attic space"? Here in the land of big temperature swings, we don't like unventilated spaces.

I liked your family shots - you must be very proud of all of them!

All the best
Peter

Wow Jonathan you have been busy. Man i am just catching up with this post. Dont know how i missed the prior three episodes.

Anyway you have certainly come a long way in a short time. :thumb: That shop is looking dandy and all closed up and ready for the weather....neat. I like the extra bracing you have put in with the beams and ties. I did not have the heart to tell you my fears. I am a "if in doubt build it stout" kinda guy so i always worried that that corn crib needed the two middle walls to help support the roof especially after i learnt all about the snow load issue that was new to me coming to the great white north. I tell you every winter i watch the snow accumualtion on my shop and fret even though it has been designed to take it. If my roof collapsed the only guy laughing would be the NN and that would not be good.

Caught up on the steak dinner and man how can you call that a steak. Its more like a whole side of beef. I cant see how anyone finished one of those. Boy! What does a steak like that cost at a restuarant. It would be bad enough buying it in the store. Looks like you had a great dinner though. How was Eric when the news broke you dont mention his relief. Now I see the steaks i bet he was more than relieved.

One thing i would like to know is when you hunter guys going even things up with the animals you hunt. I mean hunting is supposed to include tracking and stalking and being all quiet etc. You just sit in a tree and ambush the poor deer. Thats what them nastys did to the likes of John Wayne. Ya got to get out there and face them like a real hunter. Then when they charge you, you can have a go at running.:rofl::rofl: Only funning you and the other big tree stand hunters here.:D

By the way you not into doing your own electrics? Its not difficult you know. After a few shocks you get to know which is live.:D

Well all the best with the primer and the final fishes. I like the steps outside too and i would need the railing too if i came to visit.:)

Man if whoever built that corn crib could see it now.:eek:

looks good jonathan,, and i would say yu definatly turned out a purse out of a sows ear:) yu did a fine job makun this work for you..the peak treatment and the gable end was great as well