Ambo (Pulpit) Design

Don Baer

Staff member
Well as you may know I have the approved design for the Altar and now need to get serious about the design for the Ambo. Dan I tried the front panel solid with the edegs angled but it just didn't look right. I took Renee's suggestion and made the place for the book adjustable in height and the angle.
As always your comments and suggestions are welcome.

I am planning on putting something on the front like a dove

This is the ambo placed in the santuary along with the altar.

Attachments

• Ambo2.jpg
    Ambo2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Ambo2.skp
    92 KB · Views: 5
  • Sacristy 2.jpg
    Sacristy 2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hi Don - I like where this is going. However, the legs seem really heavy to me. I know you want to maintain a 'family resemblance' with the altar, but can the legs be downsized a it to lighten them up?

i agree with rennie, the legs need to be lightened up a bit. i would go with either 1 panel with the angled sides, or 2 with angled sides. i can't put my finger on it, but the 3 don't seem to work quite well visually. go with similar, but not carbon copy, that's what i did with the coffee, end, and sofa tables i made for one of my co-workers. all 3 had items that tied them together, but each was a seperate design. it needs the top, it just doesn't look right without it. you can still do the height/angle adjustment, but run it through an opening in the top. this can be done with a post that is in 3 parts, with the inner one tightened in place with a carriage bolt/wing nut, or even a series of holes with a nicely turned dowel to adjust the height, then the actual book holder can be adjusted with carriage bolt/wing nut. hope this helps.... :)

i agree with rennie, the legs need to be lightened up a bit. i would go with either 1 panel with the angled sides, or 2 with angled sides. i can't put my finger on it, but the 3 don't seem to work quite well visually. go with similar, but not carbon copy, that's what i did with the coffee, end, and sofa tables i made for one of my co-workers. all 3 had items that tied them together, but each was a seperate design. it needs the top, it just doesn't look right without it. you can still do the height/angle adjustment, but run it through an opening in the top. this can be done with a post that is in 3 parts, with the inner one tightened in place with a carriage bolt/wing nut, or even a series of holes with a nicely turned dowel to adjust the height, then the actual book holder can be adjusted with carriage bolt/wing nut. hope this helps.... :)
I looked at 1 panel and it realy looks clunky. I look at the two panels but to me it sort of represent the trinity.
In terms of lightening up the legs , I'll give it a try. I'll post a few examples. I tried the legs streight and it just didn't work.

Last edited:
Well I'm sorta stuck and open to ideas. I don't care for the open design of the top this piece. The pastor doesn't want the ambo too big so that it dwarfs the altar. I can adapt the raising and lower as well as the angle adjustment to just about any design. Here is the direction I was going in but just not happy with where it's going. HELP.

Attachments

• Ambo3.skp
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Ambo3.jpg
    Ambo3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 13
lectern mk2

here is revision of the first idea. the outside faces of the legs have been tapered outward 1/2". it's subtle, but noticable.

Attachments

• lectern mk2.jpg
    lectern mk2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 9
  • lectern mk2.skp
    45.7 KB · Views: 2