Drawer Lock Joint on the RT

glenn bradley

I use this joint frequently when making kitchen or shop drawers. I this case it is for a small box that acts as a Brita water filter container stand. Setting the bit height takes a test pass or two on a new bit. Once I have the fit I make a setup block and toss it in the drawer. My old setup block still works for another bit but, this is a new bit and is just enough different to cause a new setup to be a good idea.

Once you have your fit, it is pretty straight forward. I've just found the following method to give me reliable results. YMMV.

A one piece, tall, ZCI fence face can be quickly made and attached to your existing fence or fence face.

drawerlock (6).jpg

I use a stacked feather board and a hand screw to ride the top of the fence. This give a good amount of control while keeping your pinkies away from the bit.

drawerlock (2).jpg

I use feather boards for this cut too but couldn't get a decent pic with them in place so . . . "removed for clarity".

drawerlock (1).jpg

This gives you a nice joint that is quite strong with just glue and not too unattractive if exposed.

Drawerlock done.jpg

Thinnest recommended stock is 1/2" on mine but, there may be specialty bits at Eagle America or the like. I have done the joint with the outer plate of my dado set for thin stock. Not as quick and repeatable but, very doable.

Thinnest recommended stock is 1/2" on mine but, there may be specialty bits at Eagle America or the like.

Found the book "Routing and Shaping" by Nick Engler had a nice description of making this joint on 3/8 inch stock using a 1/8 inch 3 wing slot cutter on the router table. The book was printed in 1992 and may be out of print, I found mine at a used book sale.

DKT