Chainsaw vs. Band Saw

Up until now, I have used only a chainsaw for cutting my logs and trimming off the corners before mounting it on a lathe for rough turning. I've found that the initial blank is pretty unbalanced and also requires a lot of wood removal before I get it round and can begin really shaping it. My lathe is not huge and the initial blank (if around 11" or 12") can cause it to wobble a bit, even on the slowest speeds.

I am wondering how many people use:
1. only a chainsaw
2. only a bandsaw
3. chainsaw and bandsaw combination

Do you guys think a band saw is a good addition to the workshop for a turner? Or is it something that is not really needed?

Thanks.

Hi folks,
I don't do turning, but I think a bandsaw is an excellent addition to any shop. It's probably the most versitile saw and can't throw things at you. I use mine all the time.

Bob

A bandsaw, IMHO, is a basic and very essential tool in a workshop. My bandsaw is one of my most frequently used 'go to' tools.
For what you are talking about, I believe you should only shop for a 17" or larger model. Get the very best you can afford.
Also, for the task you are talking about, a bandsaw is about 6,000 times safer than a chainsaw.

Chain saw and band saw combo for me.. I have a big Sthil with a 24" bar for roughing out the large stuff and an electric Sthil with an 18" bar for small stuff and trimming off the corners. All blanks still go on a 24" Laguna band saw for final rounding and trimming. The band saw also helps saw up the pith cut outs for spindle and or peppermill blanks. I wouldn't be without the band saw and agree it is safer by far than a chain saw and you should buy the largest you can afford.

Dawson I think a bandsaw is a must for turning. I use a bandsaw and chainsaw combo. I have the Stihl 360 with a 20" blade and a Grizzly bandsaw with a 13" cut. Bandsaw IMHO is much safer rounding out than a chainsaw.

Chainsaw vs Bandsaw

Definitly both,I use the CS to cut the blank then round it with the BS and as already said,don't try to go with a cheap BS,as you WILL regret it,even if you have to save a bit to get a good one,do it.

I would like to say I use both, but my Delta 14" doesn't give me much room under the blade guides to cut very large bowl blanks, so I round them as much as I can with the chainsaw, then any extra trimming I can do with the Bandsaw... even as small as it is, my bandsaw does get a regular workout...

I use both also - electric 14" McCulloch which will cut anything bit or small with some effort - I use it to cut the log to size then down the pith into 2 halfs. I used to round them with my chainsaw and quickly bought my first bandsaw 14" Central Machine from a garage sale - then added a riser block - works so-so and you have to go very slow (not much horsepower) but i was able to cut nice round blanks with the set up.
Then i stubbled across a Davis-Wells 26" and got it very cheaply - Restored it which cost me due to the parts and machining etc - all the parts were there but the machine had been sitting for a long time. I put new tires, balanced the wheels, trued the shafts, all new bearings, restored the upper and lower guides with original guide blocks etc-. I even repainted it the same color as it once was and had alot of fun doing the restoration (which the people here on the forum under "Old Iron" helped me a whole lot). I have not regreted restoring this old machine (built mid 1930's) and i actually enjoy using it and it cuts very large blanks easily.
All that said i would suggest you look around and get the best one you can buy. You may want to buy a older one and do what i did or you may not and just find a good deal on a new one - either way you will not be disappointed in owning one - it has made turning that much more fun for me.
I do think horsepower and clearance are important......

Another "both" here. If the piece is small enough to cut safely on the bandsaw (14" w/riser) I like to knock the corners off that way. If it's a bigger blank, I do the best I can with the Stihl 390 and finish making it round on the lathe. I wish I had a bandsaw capable of handling a 100 pound blank, but I don't. (Ted, I'm very jealous.) :p

In either case, I tend to use a lumber crayon and one of various circle templates laying around the shop (quite often bowl rejects or donut chuck rings) to mark the circle. Even if I'm making straight cuts with a chainsaw, I'll put 12 or so "facets" on the circle to round it out. For me, a little extra time spent with either saw can make the time on the lathe more pleasurable.

Hey Vaughn..........i have a bandsaw that can handle a 100lb blank but i dont the blank.........LOL

I use scrap wood cut in circles of different diameters, some out of wood, some out of cardboard, some out of plastic - these are my templates for cutting out circles on the bandsaw. I have on some large pc's just used my chain saw and did the best i could but i get alot of drift with my small electric 14" chain saw so when every possible i like to use the bandsaw .

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I am just starting to learn all the facts about bandsaws.

If the primary purpose of the bandsaw will be for cutting blanks, should I be most concerned with the clearance under the blade or with the distance to the throat? I think that a saw with 12" blade clearance sounds like plenty for my needs.

What are the main limitations of a smaller throat distance?

dawson,
just `cause a saw mfgr. states that 12" will fit under the guides doesn`t mean the saw will cut 12" tall bowl blanks!
a saw capable of cutting through 12"`s of wet/gnarly wood needs to have some horsepower to spin the blade as well as the correct blade for the job.
spend some time talking to folks using their saws for the same purpose you intend to and try to use the same model saw you intend to purchase before you cut a check.