Sharpening...plane blades, chisles etc

Rob Keeble

Hi All

I am just so high from the enjoyment of a successful day in the shop with a sharp chisel that i needed to share the knowledge of these videos with everyone.

This is the series of videos there are three that are posted on the Fine Woodworking site and cover the short seminar that Gary Rogowski hosted for two woodworkers.

Just for the record, i have bought and read Mr Lee's (Lee Valley) book on the subject and implemented much of it but these videos made something go click and now there is no turning back.

Key point i picked up which set my day up for success was Gary saying..."When i sharpen its like a production" So how you start out and set out to do it sets up the mind set to success.

Watch the videos and just copy and you will be utterly amazed at yourself and i hope as excited as i am. :):):):D:D:D:D

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/woodworking-videos/ by the way once you get to the page you have to navigate to the correct place to find the videos. They are under the tab at the top called doctor series.

Enjoy

Rob

Last edited:
The only part that I am wondering if I did correctly is to get the back completely flat. I think I lifted a little on the chisel or iron to get the edge. I use a medium/fine wet stone to hone.

Hey Dan I did the same thing first time round and when i saw the video it hit me slap between the eyes.:D Oh and Larry I have not even started on all my own sharpening to be done so you can keep them blunt tools of yours to yourself.

Gave up cleaning someone elses things up when i left the military. Had to clean a whole camps rifles each week for 8 weeks when i was a rookie in the bush. Nah ah no more:dunno::D:thumb:

...Gave up cleaning someone elses things up when i left the military. Had to clean a whole camps rifles each week for 8 weeks when i was a rookie in the bush. Nah ah no more:dunno::D:thumb:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd want my firearms to be cleaned by the lowest man on the totem pole. :p Especially if he's not too happy abut the job assignment. :D