Any iPhone Users Here?

I'm happy to have a phone that doesn't hang up.

Take all the garbage off, I want to make calls receive calls and get voice mail and be tough. THATS IT!!

Currently using the Casio G'zOne from so called can you hear me now network. NO, most of time I can't hear you at home. My first old flat, non flip, non camera, non video Nokia out performed any phone I have had since. Oh though the current phone comes close. And this one is tough.

If I need music, I can an Ipod, thats what it was made for.

If I get in such bad shape I need GPS, I'll get a gps unit. I don't need one in my phone.

If I need a level, I'll get on frome the shop

Been my experience that the more you make something try to do multiple things the unit suffers as whole.

"Bah Humbug" eh Robert :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I do know what you mean, but for me, here in Tokyo, where the streets have no name, that GPS on my phone has saved my bacon a few times.

The camera is key for me, as you might have noticed, I post a lot of pics :eek:

There is a lot of stuff on the phones that I'll never use, but the cool thing to my way of looking at it is that stuff that is useful to most people will get better and better, the stupid frills will fall away like so much chafe.

YMMV :wave:

<---no i-phone, i-pod, i-anything like that. no electronic leashes of any kind here... :D:thumb:

funny thing, the other day I had dinner with an old college buddy of mine. He lives way the heck up north in the teensy little town of Ausable Forks, and works in Lake Placid. Cell towers are few and far between up there, so he doesn't carry a phone. I can't say as I blame him, given where he lives.

"Bah Humbug" eh Robert :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I do know what you mean, but for me, here in Tokyo, where the streets have no name, that GPS on my phone has saved my bacon a few times.

The camera is key for me, as you might have noticed, I post a lot of pics :eek:

There is a lot of stuff on the phones that I'll never use, but the cool thing to my way of looking at it is that stuff that is useful to most people will get better and better, the stupid frills will fall away like so much chafe.

YMMV :wave:

I just got my smartphone (Palm Treo 650) back in action after nearly two months. It was down because the charger wore out, and I just never got around to ordering a new one. I've been using this ratty old basic LG, no camera, no music, just a cell phone.
I greatly prefer a smartphone. In fact, if this hadn't resurrected my Treo, I was seriously considering a Blackberry to replace it, since Verizon isn't carrying the Palm OS (Centro) any longer.

funny thing is ned, when i tell people that i have no cell phones, or beepers of any kind, they all get this look, and ask me how i can get along without them. they ask, how do you stay in touch with people, i tell them i have the phone at home. when they ask how people get in touch with you, i tell them that they can call me at home, or at work. this is usually followed up by, what if you're not at home or work? i tell them with a smile, that that's why god created voicemail and answering machines. :D

Vaughn, subsequent to your post i stopped in on my way home from Rugby with my son and checked out the Iphone just to see if it was worth all this hype in my own opinion.

The combination of the Ipod and GPS features really got me to thinking about the unit since my contract with my current supplier ends this month and i have been debating whats next.

I was very disapointed to find when i stripped away the marketing hype that the GPS part is not a GPS reciever based unit like the very old Garmin GPS i have. In order to use this feature (at least how they set it up in Canada) you have to have a data plan and if you use the phone to track, it uses the cellular system to give you your location on a road map. All the time this is tracking you are paying :eek::eek::eek: using your data plan.

So this thing seems like a hole in the pocket again. Then there is no ability on the units here to upgrade or add to the memory capacity. Yeah I know if you get the 32 G unit you have 32G but I was hoping this was to be the phone to end all phones at least for more than 3 years.

I am trully tiring of learning new things that i am not particularly wanting to be learning like how to use a phone and how to type in a new version of word or a new mail package or new operating system, when fundamentally nothing much has changed except the basic feature you wanted now works the way it should have in the beginning.

This was the basis of me stripping the marketing hype away from the actual facts covering the phone.

I would rather personally be spending my time learning to sharpen my chisels.:D:rofl:

Can you provide a little update on how you find the phone now you have had it a while and also how are the plans set up in the USA. I would be keen to see the differences with how real competition makes the networks flush out a product like this.

Thanks.

Good points, and there are days I wish I didn't have it. However, My office is my van, so my office phone IS a cell phone.

And I'm also keeping up with my kids, who are fully digital citizens.

Oh, and as for the GPS feature... If i want a GPS, I'll put one on the dashboard.

funny thing is ned, when i tell people that i have no cell phones, or beepers of any kind, they all get this look, and ask me how i can get along without them. they ask, how do you stay in touch with people, i tell them i have the phone at home. when they ask how people get in touch with you, i tell them that they can call me at home, or at work. this is usually followed up by, what if you're not at home or work? i tell them with a smile, that that's why god created voicemail and answering machines. :D

I'm going to disagree with you on the GPS set up, I like it the way it is. I don't use it very often, but when I do, it is a life saver for me.

The way the GPS works here is the same, they track the phone by being "Online" and you pay, per minute, thing is, I have NEVER gone over my minutes, not once, for data, I hardly ever scratch the surface. Texting to other phones on the same carrier is free, so only e-mail costs. If I want to use the GPS, I pay a one month fee, 320 yen (about $3.50) and then just the minutes I need to find where the heck I am :doh: When I'm trying to find where I am, I can pause it, then restart it again, and it moves along to find out where I am now.

This works very well, in Japan, as there are cell phone antenna everywhere, heck, we have two on our building :D

The other stuff you guys bring up...... each to his own! :wave:

Rob, my Blackberry was that way...you had to pay $10 per month just to have the GPS functionality. The iPhone model I have has a true GPS receiver in it. It will use cell phone tower or WiFi triangulation if it can't "see" the GPS satellites, but outdoors it's using real GPS. With AT&T, you are required to buy the "data plan" for $30 per month, but that includes unlimited data transfer and the basic GPS functions. (A smartphone without a data plan is like a computer with no Internet connection...usable, but not very.) I could pay an extra $10 a month to AT&T to make it into a "talking" GPS, but I've already got that in my SUV, and don't use it there. either. For me, the GPS functionality will be mainly for finding things like businesses based on my location. For basic driving directions, the one in my SUV has things covered, but if I'm in an unfamiliar area, I can find specific businesses easier with the iPhone, since it's tied into Google Maps. (And as a result, I can also see a satellite view, which my car GPS doesn't have.) Lastly, the GPS in my SUV is based on a database from 2000. (It's a 2001 model Lexus), so it's out of date, especially in areas that have been developed in the past 8 or 9 years. The database for the iPhone GPS is Google, so it's pretty current. ;)

As far as the "to GPS or not GPS?" question...I managed to drive around Los Angeles for years using just the Thomas Guide (a phonebook-sized detailed map). But now that I've used an in-dash navigation system, I don't ever want to go back to the old way. If I lived in a smaller town it wouldn't be nearly as handy (unless I did a lot of traveling), but in SoCal, it's very, very useful. Los Angeles County has 527 miles of freeway and 382 miles of conventional highway. And that's not counting the streets.

Believe it or not, I hardly talk on my cell phone at all. :p If I'm at home I use the landline, and if I'm out and about, I'm busy, and not in the mood for a long chat. ;) It's mostly the quick "Do you need me to pick anything up at the store while I'm here?" kind of conversation.

Vaughn, I was at a AT&T event for BlackBerry recently. AT&T said that their "unlimited" plan was actually limited to 5GB per month. I haven't seen anything in writing about this, but just be aware or proactive in verifying that you do actually have a "unlimited" plan.

Darren, I did see some fine print on the AT&T website that said "Unlimited" isn't really. :rolleyes: I don't anticipate going anywhere near the limit, though. Sort of like our cell phone minutes. We're on a family plan with something ridiculous like 5000 minutes per month, and we seldom use much more than 100.