new online music site I found...

Ned Bulken

WIth Vaughn's thread about music listening... and being stuck in a motel for a couple of days, with broadband internet, I went looking online for a source of music. Found a service called Pandora Radio which is associated with and uses the Music Genome Project to pick the 'next' song based on your preferences. There are two versions. one with very Infrequent advertisements, plus links to buy the music, as well as a subscription based, which eliminates the ads.

two days in, and I like it, seems innocuous enough, plus there are Iphone Apps available for it.

Hmm, seems that there is a limit of 40 hours per month of free listening, HOwever, their 'pay' service is only $36 a Year. That might be doable.

also, for those not in the US, sorry, they had some trouble with licensing, so they check the ISP and only allow US sites/hosting.

Last edited:
I've heard a bit about Pandora, and have been meaning to check it out. I've never been real fond of "machine mixes", but I'd like to see what this one does. I've already got the app noted and will be downloading it to try it out when the iPhone gets here.

An experienced DJ with a good library of music (like Bill at RadioParadise.com) can pull off music selections and segues that I don't think a computer can rival.

Vaughn,
think of it as a fuzzy-logic canned DJ. you teach it your preferences and it keeps pulling out songs that are 'similar', they have a bunch of different categories. worth a shot, and I might just pony up, so far it seems pretty decent.

of course, once I get the shop wired this fall, I'll be hanging a directv dish on it, and directv has the XM mix stations for its music content, so that might be a moot point for the shop on my end. :rolleyes:

http://www.pandora.com/mgp.shtml- the founder of Pandora about the music genome project.

Last edited:
I have to plug Winamp and ShoutCast Radio. Hundreds probably thousands of radio(?) stations online and totally free.

I like jazz and more specifically the old style straight up jazz. I just found a station in Paris that I really like. I can't understand the announcer and the ads, if that is what they are? But I love the music. But you can find most anything on there.

I turned Larry on to this when he passed through.

Ned, I've been trying Pandora Radio off and on since last night...it is indeed pretty cool. I had it start building a playlist based on a fairly obscure band (Porcupine Tree), and it's pulled out a pretty good assortment of similar music. I'm seeing some repeating of albums, but no song repeats yet. I can see, though, that one would been to have separate playlists for different genres of music. That's one of the beauties of RadioParadise. They may go from Django Reinhardt to The Eels, followed by Hank Williams (Sr.) and Jefferson Airplane, all in a single set.

And another ditto for ShoutCast and WinAmp. :thumb: