tape question

larry merlau

i have been reading, and they are talking about using "turners tape" for pattern work. i have been using double sided carpet tape and it works but leaves a residue on the wood which can be taken off... but whats the differnce between the two? and what do you use for adhereing a pattern to a blank panel for a duplicate part?

Larry, I just noticed this thread now...:huh:...I sat in on a veneer class once and the teacher used Frog tape to keep the pieces together before gluing...but it's not double sided....

jeff i was referring to using it for patter or template work i have been using the carpet tape but it leaves a residue that will come off with lac thiner..but was curious if there was something better.. once it gets stuck it doesnt seprate well and to use for the next one isnt always an option???

hmmm? must be this was outa line to ask here?

Yer in the right forum. And, I do believe, a few turners even visit here once every few months or so. ;)
I have never used turners tape. It is double sided, hopefully stronger grip than carpet tape which I have tried for turning without good results.
Can't answer the question about leaving residue or not.

That's funny Frank.:rofl::thumb:

I don't know either Larry, but I have read of people who do use carpet tape and nobody has mentioned the residue issue to my recollection. :dunno: I haven't tried any myself, yet. I know the price difference of the turner's tape was what many talked about.

Perhaps the age of the tape could effect the residue problem? Fresher tape might not do it.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
That's funny Frank.:rofl::thumb:

I don't know either Larry, but I have read of people who do use carpet tape and nobody has mentioned the residue issue to my recollection. :dunno: I haven't tried any myself, yet. I know the price difference of the turner's tape was what many talked about.

Aloha, Tony

so if i read it right tony they are sayun that carpet tape is the one to use rather than the high dollar spinny tape:)

Larry,

As far as what I have learned, yes, carpet tape should be good to use. I just can't verify it from personal experience, that's all.

For your duplicate pattern work, there isn't all that much strain on the tape so it should hold well enough.

Give it a try. Or have you done that already? Is the residue thing from your own experience?

Aloha, Tony

We all kow that when a manufacturer specificly addresses a certain group of people the price differes and is usually more expensive (for the same product) . Although I have NOT either used the turner's tape and have used carpet tape (W/O residue problems) I have used Office double sided tape for small applications w/o problems... So?

One example is a glue I was reccommended to me for hight temp and structural problems... This friend said to use a certain 3M Cement made for Airplanes, they use it and the planes sit in Saudi desert sun w/o failure... Get it at an aviation supply house. I went there and they were out but it cost $38 quart. I then went to a Marine and Auto Restoration supply house and got the same glue at $18 a quart (exact same product code number)

I have always known that they stuck it to you with Marine goodies but I am finding out the Aviation guys twist it off in you (and make you say thank you may I have another)

And so it might also be with Specificly "Made for Turners" supplies.

Whilst on the other hand... On a different subject matter...

Wet sanding my boat too bring back the color... I have always used my same ole rubber sanding block I use for wwing, but on a whim, I bought "Made for wet sanding" pad at an expensive price (for a chunk of fake rubber) but to my amazement, it made the task so easy, so it was worth paying the difference....

Maybe someone will bite the bullet, climb down off their wallet, buy the Turners tape, do an experiment, and let us cheapscapes know...

I've used both the carpet tape and the turners' tape, and don't see much, if any, difference between them - except for price...

That FastCap edge banding tape I showed you when you were here would work - you just couldn't leave the template on overnight, or you'd never get it off in one piece. It ain't cheap, though - about ten bucks a roll.

yup jim i almost forgot about your stuff but it wont used for a template cuz i saw how well it holds:) i will just continue to use carpet tape then but the sticky glue is definately a pain to get off sometimes..so tony yes i have experience in residue maybe its the typ e i have that givun me fits it came from a borg. not 3m brand . maybe the age is a factor aswell. its been here awhile:huh:

yup jim i almost forgot about your stuff but it wont used for a template cuz i saw how well it holds:) i will just continue to use carpet tape then but the sticky glue is definately a pain to get off sometimes..so tony yes i have experience in residue maybe its the typ e i have that givun me fits it came from a borg. not 3m brand .
maybe the age is a factor aswell.
Hi Larry; I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement. The age of the guy using it IS a large factor!:rofl::rofl::rofl:Couldn't stop myself! SORRY!!!

Any residue I've experienced with double-sided tape could usually be rolled off with my thumb. If you have a thumb, you could try that!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

yup jim i almost forgot about your stuff but it wont used for a template cuz i saw how well it holds:) i will just continue to use carpet tape then but the sticky glue is definately a pain to get off sometimes..so tony yes i have experience in residue maybe its the typ e i have that givun me fits it came from a borg. not 3m brand . Hi Larry; I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement. The age of the guy using it IS a large factor!:rofl::rofl::rofl:Couldn't stop myself! SORRY!!!

Any residue I've experienced with double-sided tape could usually be rolled off with my thumb. If you have a thumb, you could try that!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

hey yu ole coot, be nice to me somebody has to:) this stuff wont roll of with my thumb,, yu get a dirty smear.. so i hit with lac thinner and then i feel i can finish over it. but its still a pain, jist like yu:rofl::thumb:

...if you ask me Larry, it sounds like you're asking about turner's tape because deep down inside you have this raging passion to start turning and you're trying to cover up some questions you have about a new lathe that's sitting in your shop right now waiting to have a blank mounted to it with turner's tape :dunno:

...if you ask me Larry, it sounds like you're asking about turner's tape because deep down inside you have this raging passion to start turning and you're trying to cover up some questions you have about a new lathe that's sitting in your shop right now waiting to have a blank mounted to it with turner's tape :dunno:

I believe you might be onto something here, Westley. ;) :D

Larry, I've not used either the turner's tape or carpet tape, but if you're getting a lot of residue, I suspect it might be due to the age of the tape.

Fear not Larry. You are not pre-disposed to the spinny-side. I use Rockler's turner's tape as it is thin, comes off clean and doesn't allow flex. On the downside, Rockler's tape will really, really, really hang on if you leave it on more than say . . . 30 minutes.

Lee Valley's turner's tape is a lot like good carpet tape; thicker than I want, rubbery and allows flex. When I am template routing I want the template to hold still. Flex is not a good thing in my book. With Rockler (and I assume other's) tape I can use little 1" pieces every so often so it goes a long way. 1" x 25 yards is about $10. This is one of the things I'll pick up when free shipping comes along.

Whoa Westley, :doh::eek:

Them's dangerous words with Larry. :rofl:

(You may have hit the nail on the head. I really think, deeeep down, Larry wants to become a turner. And, what a great turner he would be, too.):thumb:

I better shut up before he throws a block of wood at me. :rofl:

Aloha, Tony :wave:

WHat new Lathe??:eek::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Lathe.01.jpg
    Lathe.01.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 38