Gosh I love this shaper!

Jeff Horton

I have been using my restored shaper on my most recent project and I have to say I am loving this thing! Tod, you were so right when you said they were handy tools!

I have only bought a few cutters and only used one set. The straight cutters. So far I have cut some rabbits with it. I find the fence a little annoying when setting the width of the cut. But the height adjustment is sooooo simple.

But where it is really shining is cutting all the frame and panel joints. Since this is Craftsman style they are just square edges. But what I love is that I can cut my tongues first. Then I remove the cutter, put on a spacer the same size as the bottom cutter, the small slot cutter and clamp it and I am ready to run. With the spacers I don't have to adjust the height, it's still set and ready to run.

I was really dreading do these cuts with the dado blades on the table saw because of the setup. Inevitably I will miss one part and then have to go through the set up again and probably never get it exactly right. With the shaper it's a 2 minute job. It take longer to find my wrenches and the cutter than to actually change it over.

What I did learn was the importance of some feather boards to keep the parts tight to the table. A feeder would be nice but I don't really see the need right now. My shop made feather boards work just lovely and whole lot cheaper

jeff, the more you use it the more you`ll find uses for it....they`re one of the handiest tools in the shop and can be jigged to do stuff you`d never of thunked.......oh-yeah......pics;)

Yeah, a shaper is the way to go, I used Keith July's a couple of times......I probably ought to get some cutters ordered for mine that has been sitting in the corner for almost a year and start using it.

Nice reminder by the way.

Well, with no pictures forthcoming, I guess we will have to figure out a punishment for Jeff, what do you guys think?

How about he has to paint his cabinet saw pink? :D

or he has to go stand in the corner and NOT use his new shaper for a week :dunno:

Come on Jeff, pics please!! :thumb:

Man you guys have shorter memories than me! :) 6 Day Shaper Refurbish

Sorry, I can't get any action shots. I need to use both hands using this things. :p I am going to spend most of the day in the Lab today so I will take some photos of it with it makeup (wood chips) on to appease all you Tyler-ites. :D

DING DING DING
Larry gets the prize. The avatar is an old photo of the DeWalt RAS from when I restored it. 1946 model. Just ran across that photo and was tired of looking at the other one.

Well, with no pictures forthcoming, I guess we will have to figure out a punishment for Jeff, what do you guys think?

How about he has to paint his cabinet saw pink?

Like this? Keiths-saw-Pink.JPG

Man you guys have shorter memories than me! :) 6 Day Shaper Refurbish

I am going to spend most of the day in the Lab today so I will take some photos of it with it makeup (wood chips) on to appease all you Tyler-ites. :D

DING DING DING
Larry gets the prize. The avatar is an old photo of the DeWalt RAS from when I restored it. 1946 model. Just ran across that photo and was tired of looking at the other one.

Trained them well :D :D Good Job gents. Nice shaper too