Rant: Given Name Spelling

Bill Satko

I have observed this for some time and I am sure that others have noticed, but it seems that so many parents just insist on creative spellings for common given names. Well, I just have to share one that I just ran across. I saw it on the video that Frank Townend posted a link to:

Franks Post

The women who is demonstrating the product has a name that is commonly spelled Mandy, but I have seen it spelled Mandie. Her name though is spelled Mandiey.

Is it just me or is the world nuts? If you only saw this name in print, how would you think to pronounce it? I am not sure if it is a result being creative or just not knowing how to spell.

According to this rule of spelling, Larry should be Larriey. Hmm... has a kind of mystery to it. I can see it now....Larriey Merlau. The kind of name a vegetarian would have...especially a spinning vegetarian.

I have no room to speak. I still don't understand how the letters V A U G H N are supposed to sound like "Vawn". :huh: :p My sister's husband has called me "Voff" for years. :D

I have to be careful with Vaughn - being an SRV fan, I always wanna spell it Vaughan - which is really off...

My name has been destroyed by cutsie twits over the years. I once had a woman at some official office of some kind (DMV or something) actually read my name off my driver's license and then proceeded to spell it Jayson. EH??

Jaysin
Jaesen
Jaisyn

C'mon, people! It's easy:
July
August
September
October
November!

I once lived with a girl named Karyn ...

I once knew someone named Brion ... This one has me thinking someone didn't know how to spell.

My sister's four kids are: Excea, Orion, Keeryie, and Xon. Don't ask me where she got the names...

The other sister and brother used very conventional names - Paul, Lisa, Candy, Connie, Craig, etc.

True story.....

Given my last name can be easily.....made into something it isn't. :rolleyes:

When I was born, my mom asked my older brothers what they thought my name should be. :huh:

Oldest brother Dennis replied "Jack !" :eek:

Next oldest brother Mark said " Harry !" :eek:

Glad she didn't choose one of those. :thumb:

My wife often tells the story of one of her students, a young lady named Placenta. The story is that her mother, heavily sedated in the delivery room, heard the word and thought it sounded pretty.:eek::huh::dunno:

True story.....

When I was born, my mom asked my older brothers what they thought my name should be. :huh:

I had to read this twice, couldnt figure out what was so different, until I said it 3 times......thats pretty funny.

My ex-wife had a niece named Pleasure Muzak Sturkel. And there used to be a guy in the Albuquerque phone book named Tree M. Evergreen. :rolleyes:

True story.....

I went through school with a kid named Jack Ice. He had the same problem.

It may have something to do with older family ancestors coming from another country, most likely European. My name is spelled Stephan but pronounced Stephen. I have just gotten into the habit of saying my name the way it sounds when I am required to spell out my name. My name is translated loosely from my Dutch grandfather.

Stephan

Well maybe I'm on the other side of this discussion . . .

My daughter is named Kailtyn. I was standing in the hospital looking at my newborn daughter in the nursery window when the grandparents of another newborn happened by to look at their grandchild. We are from the same home town and they apparently recognized me, so they asked me my daughters name. I told them and they asked me how it was spelled. I spelled it for them as I had on the birth certificate and their response was - that's not the traditional Gaelic spelling . . .

I think that only allowing a single spelling for a word or name just shows a lack of imagination . . . :rofl:

Apparantly I have no imagination because I have 2 nieces : Devaney and Shaylee. I have a nephew named Logan but that's a little more common.

Cheers

Jim

I'll tell you a name story.....

My name.....Ken Fitzgerald......

I speak with an accent that is particular to a small area in southern Illinois.

A few years ago, I got paged. I called the number on the pager and the woman asked to speak to "Catfish Harold". I said "Who?" She said "I want to speak to a field engineer in Lewiston....Catfish Harold".... An installation manager I had spoken to earlier had misread my accent and gave the lady my digital pager number and told her to page "Catfish Harold".......:eek::huh::dunno:

I really need to enunciate more and try to rid myself of this accent!