cherry bowl

this is my first bowl made with that cherry i got the other week.finish is blo with 2 coats of rattly can laquar then polished with old english oil. got to run time for work:(
thanks and ACW good or bad
steve

Attachments

• 019 [800x600].JPG
    019 [800x600].JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 020 [800x600].JPG
    020 [800x600].JPG
    78 KB · Views: 90
  • 021 [800x600].JPG
    021 [800x600].JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 69
The finish looks really good, you got all of your tool marks out and it is well sanded, that part looks super :thumb:

The inside of the bowl, it also has a nice radius to it and is pleasing to the eye.

The outside, looks, "to me" clunky, the curve is not constant, and it seems to step a bit.

All in all it is a nice bowl, but it would be more pleasing to "my eye" if the outside was more of a curve.

Keep them coming, at least you are turning, I've only got time to look at what you guys are doing!

Cheers!

Nice work, Steve. :thumb: Looks like a great piece of wood. (Nice haul for sure.) I agree with Bernie's agreement with Stu on the form of the outside, but that's a personal preference thing.

It looks great to me!!!!!

I have a lathe on my Shopsmith but I have only used it a few times in the past 15 years. You guys are giving me the confidence to sharpen up my tools and give it another go.

My style is early american and shaker. maybe I should start with something small like candle holders.
Sorry if I'm off topic.

It looks great to me!!!!!

I have a lathe on my Shopsmith but I have only used it a few times in the past 15 years. You guys are giving me the confidence to sharpen up my tools and give it another go.

My style is early american and shaker. maybe I should start with something small like candle holders.
Sorry if I'm off topic.

Bob as i didn't know much until i joined here about a year and a half ago.These folks are the best i've found on this puter.They'll tell ya the truth and that's what we need to learn. please dust off the shopsmith and give it a spin, you woun't get sucked into the vortex.:rofl::rofl:

With a lot of this stuff Steve, there's not really a right way and a wrong way. As you turn more, you'll find the shapes and methods that please you, but the only way I know to do that is to try a bunch of different things. I know I'm still doing that myself.

And congrats on the new tools. The Benjamin's Best stuff is plenty good...a lot of nice pieces have been made with those tools.

...dust off the shopsmith and give it a spin, you woun't get sucked into the vortex.:rofl::rofl:

Yeah Bob, there's no chance of that happening at all.
whistling.gif
You're safe here...we won't try to sway you or anything. :p (Did I mention we also have cookies? And every Tuesday night is Ladies' Night.)

With a lot of this stuff Steve, there's not really a right way and a wrong way. As you turn more, you'll find the shapes and methods that please you, but the only way I know to do that is to try a bunch of different things. I know I'm still doing that myself.

And congrats on the new tools. The Benjamin's Best stuff is plenty good...a lot of nice pieces have been made with those tools.

Yeah Bob, there's no chance of that happening at all.
whistling.gif
You're safe here...we won't try to sway you or anything. :p (Did I mention we also have cookies? And every Tuesday night is Ladies' Night.)
Steve,
nice bowl!

I sure like my Benjamin's Best!

so do the ladies serve the cookies on tuesdays, or what? (ducking, running now...)

Hi Stephen,
Good looking piece of wood you got there...best I could tell, either it's my eyes or the pictures are a little out of focus... I agree with other assessments... outside doesn't seem to follow inside, but if this is first, you're pretty close to the mark.. only another turner would pick up on that... it's still a good looking bowl and if this is example of your work on the first, then we'll see some really fine work next week....:thumb::thumb:

I have a little cherry but haven't tried but one piece of it and somehow I managed to split the bowl, took half in the chest and the other half hit the wall at the other end of the shop... didn't think I was turning all that fast.... my cherry has had some ants in it... that's the reason the tree came down in the first place... Guess I need to dig out another chunk and see what I can do with it.

BTW, I also use the BB tools... no complaints.

I have a question. The bottom picture does not have the same sheen as the inside. Is that because of the photo? If not, it need additional work.

A rule of thumb is that all places that can be seen or touched should look and feel the same.

Not trying to be picky here. The additional work will increase the value to the customer and you can charge more.

Bruce

I have a question. The bottom picture does not have the same sheen as the inside. Is that because of the photo? If not, it need additional work.

A rule of thumb is that all places that can be seen or touched should look and feel the same.

Not trying to be picky here. The additional work will increase the value to the customer and you can charge more.

Bruce

Bruce. i'm sure it's the pics as it was finished the same inside and out.I know my pic taking skills leave a lot to be desired.:(
As far as the value i'm not good enough to do anything but give them away as gifts. Maybe one of these days i'll get good enough but that will be a number of years from now.

Don't sell yourself short. You are farther along than you think.

Keep it up. Inflowing $$$$$'s are not that far away.

Remember, WE ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITIC!

Bruce

well bruce you shoulda been an inspirational speaker:D i do know that yu turners seem to be able to sell anything almost and lot of yu guys have some great skills,, but in flat land i havent made the grade and havnt had anyone even ask...so go for it steve make several and try to make some that of green stuff that floats in the spinny world more freely:) yu know the worst critics line from being in your trade for so long.. give it a shot on making alittel back from your hobby...:thumb::thumb:

I hope my first bowl turns out half that good. I'll be working on it tomorrow.

Larry,

You made the grade on that bed, a Double Grade AA.

Chuck that's not my first bowl, it's just the first one from my (small gloat post) tho i'm still a rookie, as i've only been turning for about a year and a half. I'm sure your first will be great:D. Make sure you send pics our way, or no one is gonna belive you.:rofl:
And your right about Larry making the grade:thumb::thumb:
Steve