Some touristic pics

Hi guys.
Just arrived yesterday from my in laws, and I thought I could post some pics of the remains of a monastery which are about 3 miles away from where I stayed.

This monastry is of gothic style and it is on the St. James pilgrim's way. It was a hospital monastery who provided shelter and medical care for the pilgrims.
After recovering, pilgrims were asked to work for the monks up to five years to pay for the care received. So there was no charity at all.

Now part of it is used to give shelter to modern pilgrims at no cost at all but they do accept some sort of voluntary donation. It is private owned and has nothing to do with monks or any church at all.

The monk's order was "Los Antonianos" as they were devoted to San Anton
( Saint Anthony) and their symbol whas the Thau "T" letter in greek that you can see in this round window or "rosetón" originaly there was a "T" letter on each cercle of it but only a few remain.

anton07.jpg

This green plastic curtain on the right closes the dormitory of the modern pilgrims that can rest, have a shower, get some food and sleep on those beds
anton08.jpganton12.jpg

I thought you might find it interesting.

Attachments

• anton02.jpg
    anton02.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 30
  • anton04.jpg
    anton04.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 31
  • anton06.jpg
    anton06.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 30
  • anton09.jpg
    anton09.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
  • anton10.jpg
    anton10.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 33
  • anton13.jpg
    anton13.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 30
Beautiful pictures Toni. Is that near Burgos?

We have friends en Barcelona y Caldetas. I have always wanted to see the coast of Galicia and one of my plans was to visit our friends and go en El Camino de Santiago empesando en Pamplona. You have really got me thinking of this again.

Cheers.

Hi guys.
This monastry is of gothic style and it is on the St. James pilgrim's way. It was a hospital monastery who provided shelter and medical care for the pilgrims.
After recovering, pilgrims were asked to work for the monks up to five years to pay for the care received. So there was no charity at all.

Really interesting Tony. Five years is kind of steep price considering many say the life expectancy of the middle ages was about 35 years. I suspect it was much higher for the upper classes. With the current world life expectancy at 67 (CIA World Factbook), that would be equivalent to working for 9.6 years now (if I did my math right).:eek:

Actually, considering the cost of any hospital stay now, 9.6 years may soon be a bargain.:D

Nice shots, Toni. It's a real shame that so many Beautiful structures around the world have fallen into ruins from damages during wars, fires, AND simply the lack of funds to keep the roofs repaired which eventually leads to catastrophic deterioration of the structure and eventual structural collapse. Another thing that has caused a significant deterioration of the stone carvings is from the automotive exhaust mixing with the humidity and forming an acid that eats away the stone. The last few years I lived in Europe, I laughed and said that I would have liked to own the company that leased all the scaffolding to the Catholic Church because they had at least 50 % of the Cathedrals surrounded with scaffolds and were doing an intensive restoration of the stonework and carvings.

How did your Door Build come out?

VERY cool Toni :thumb:

Being from Canada, a fairly young country, and from Western Canada, younger still, I really enjoy seeing old buildings and such. There are VERY few here in Japan, even though Japan is an ancient country, because of earthquakes and also most buildings (again because of earthquakes) were made from wood.

When I went to Austria in 2006, I was really stunned to be in some of the ancient ruins, at one winery, we walked up the hill to near the top and there was a very old ruin there, the owner of the winery said it was first a Celt fort, then a Roman fort, then Bavarian, then Romans again, then France, then Hungary etc etc, and he could point out a lot of the different features on the ruins which came from improvements done by the various groups. It was almost surreal standing there leaning on a Wall build by Romans some 2000 years ago :eek: They had the ruins partially excavated by the local university at one point.

Toni, do you know why, or how the monastery in your pictures fell into disrepair?

Great pics!

Very cool building, Toni. Do you know when it was built?
I think it was built around 14th century

Beautiful pictures Toni. Is that near Burgos?
Quite close to Burgos, about 30Km ( 15 miles more or less)

How did your Door Build come out?

Pretty good, I'm resizing and sorting the pics and I expecto to post them tomorrow or the day after at the latest.
Thanks for asking.

Toni, do you know why, or how the monastery in your pictures fell into disrepair?

One of the monks who was really ambitious and was expecting to be elected as the prior or maximum authority of the whole order, burned all the files and documents in rage when he was not elected as he wanted. After that the order got dissolved and their possesions lost or taken by somebody else.

The present state of the building (as many others) is due to the continous extraction of already cut stones for building purposes in the following years.

Until recently (50 years or so), the local sport for the kids of the nearby town was to compete to see who was able to break the head of the figures that embellish the arch of the door with a stone shot.