DC Build Question

Last edited:
I haven't seen a cabinet DC like those before, but I suspect they're not pulling enough CFM to be effective in a woodshop. (I could be completely wrong on that.) :dunno:

its nothing like anything i have seen for dust or chip collection jon...i think it would fill up way to fast..its for really fine stuff and your gonna be making alot bigger dust.. yu need something like a a old trash pump or sileage blower setup..or a used DC for wood....

Well what caught my eye was the DC motor and cabinet for $25.00. What I plan is a gravity wagon under the lean to with a wooden top and the chips going there. Think this will pull them there? The second one says it is for metal. Is that heavier/harder to pull than wood?

I'm not sure but would think it might be an air cleaner rather than a dust collector.. I don't see where it would collect the chips and larger pieces off the lathe... I didn't note the motor size as Tom did, but if 1/3 HP, not much power there. My HF unit has a 2 horse motor and is only rated at 1600 cfm.

I'm not sure but would think it might be an air cleaner rather than a dust collector.. I don't see where it would collect the chips and larger pieces off the lathe... I didn't note the motor size as Tom did, but if 1/3 HP, not much power there. My HF unit has a 2 horse motor and is only rated at 1600 cfm.

That certainly is an air filter, not a dust collector, and it very well might work fantastic, but I'm betting the filter material is not that good, most likely old enough that is it something like 5 micron, you want a LOT smaller than that.

I have Torit filters in my cyclone, they are top drawer.

>> Here << is the PDF manual for that unit.

I found this at an auction house.........

Model 66 Torit Dust Collector
EQUIPPED WITH:

Efficiency in one neat, compact, self-contained unit TORIT'S large selection of cabinet-style fabric filter dust collectors gives you the kind of flexibility needed in today's rapidly changing technology. These models have a
range from 175 CFM up to 8000 CFM. Storage capabilities run from 0.34 cubic feet to 500 cubic feet. And fabric filter areas range from 30 to 1,200 square feet. On models with less than a 300-square-foot filter area, pull-out drawers, large-capacity hopper-type bases and 55-gallon drum arrangements are offered.
Available with a number of power packages and other options, the modular design and small space requirements make them quick to install and easy to move.

Designed for effectiveness
These welded steel cabinet systems house motor and blower on the clean-air side, eliminated the risk of fan loading, motor damage and the ultimate time-consuming expensive repairs. Overall collection efficiencies exceed +99.9% by weight, on both heavy chips and fine particulate. This kind of efficiency makes it possible to recirculate the cleaned air in-doors, where allowable, saving on costly heated or conditioned air.

Cleaning simplicity
TORIT fabric filter dust collectors are also easy to empty and easy to clean, whether dust-drawer, hopper-type or 55-gallon drum arrangement. Particles clinging to the filter bags are easily dislodged by actuating the manual filter shaker handle. Fully automatic filter cleaning is available as an option on all models.

SPECIFICATIONS:

C.F.M. .......................................... 136-323
External Static Pressure (W.G.) ................. 4.78"-4.20"
Velocity (F.P.M.) ............................... 2775-6581
Standard Inlet Outlet Size ...................... 3"-2"X 7 13/32"
Motor ........................................... 1/2 HP
Filter Cloth Area ............................... 60
Dust Storage Capacity (cu ft) ................... .43
Dimensions Height ............................ 32 7/8"
Width ............................. 22 3/8"
Diameter .......................... 25 3/8"
Shipping Weight ................................. 165 Lbs

Emphasis added by me on the CFM, that is really not very much :D

What you really need is a big blower, buy the motor and the impeller yourself and make that housing. If you are going to blow it outside, you don't need any filters at all, but your will lose some heat when you do this, I'd recommend a radiant heater if you can swing it, as this will heat the objects in the shop, not the air, which will be blown outside from time to time :D

Cheers!

get a big fan (pump)......worry about the rest later.
if your fan is large enough you can always add filters/chip collectors or more branches later.......too small and your options are very limited.

Jonathan,

That is the cabinet type of dust collector used for metal grinding (as in tool sharpening, small surface grinding, etc. of that scale) I don't think you could make use of that, even as an air cleaner/filter for the shop. Just not enough CFM.

On the other hand, the separate blower/motor setup might be useful.

JMHO

Aloha, Tony

Last edited: