3 HP Router

Bob Gibson

I currently have two routers. A Porter Cable Model 100 7/8 HP. I have had this tool for years and is usually my go to tool for 70% of my work. I also have a PC 693 that is mounted in my PC Router table. I use the 693 with 1/2" shank bits.
Question, being the ultimate tool freak that I am I am considering of adding another router to my collection, Should I go for the 3HP versions? Other than power and torque are there any real benefits? I work mostly in pine, maple and oak.
I'm a little nervous on spending the cash for one. I'm afraid it may sit and collect dust along with my Freud Biscuit joiner.

A 3 hp job is best for a table. They work great if you plan on doing any heavy cutting. Like in makeing raised panels or larger moldings. So, if I where you, I would get one and take the smallest one you have and use it for dovetails or other operation you do often.

I'll echo Al's comment. I think I'd put a 3hp router in the table, and use the PC 69x for handheld work. I have a couple 69x motors and the plunge, fixed, and D-handle bases to go with them for handheld work, and a now-discontinued Hitachi M12V in my router table.

That is one thing next to clamps that you can never have enough of.:)I am up to four plus a shaper. You will love useing a 3 hp for raised panels. You can hog off more materail in each pass without the router complainin to much.