Strong quake rocks Tokyo

Thanks yeah we are just fine, a little turf surfing :D

I know a 6.9M is nothing to laugh at, but no damage that I've heard of yet. It was quite deep and the first thump was something else, we were all in the park, just as the summer festival was winding up, and it felt like some underground giant hit the ground below our feet with a large mallet, and then it went on and on, but nothing to serious. It was actually 3 quakes with in about 20 minutes.

Cheers!:wave:

Stu,

USGS is now saying 7.1, but 303 kilometres deep and 170 K off the coast. Still, by any measure, that's a big one. Glad everyone's ok!

I like your description: it felt like some underground giant hit the ground below our feet with a large mallet! Let's hope the blow relieved the pressure for a good long while! :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

I'm glad it hadn't any consecuences, I still remember in 1979 I was in Hiroshima and I was woken up thinking that someone was shaking my bed, it wasn't the bed but the whole building shaking and the door frames squeaking.

Quite an experience for a 19 year old that was abroad for the first time.

I'm glad it hadn't any consecuences, I still remember in 1979 I was in Hiroshima and I was woken up thinking that someone was shaking my bed, it wasn't the bed but the whole building shaking and the door frames squeaking.

Quite an experience for a 19 year old that was abroad for the first time.

Never been to Japan, but my first quake was same sensation... I had just moved into an apartment on second floor in San Carlos, CA... I worked the midnight shift and was sleeping days when it hit... thought sure someone had broken in and was shaking the bed... then the windows rattled and I knew what was happening.

Stu, glad all well with you and the family.

never experienced anything remotely close to an earthquake, although after my BIL has too many bean burritos and coronas, we sometimes feel the walls shake right before we make a mad dash for shelter.

glad you and family werent affected Stu.

No tsunami waring this time around, they are really up to date with that stuff here.

We live on high ground far from the coast, and on an area that survived the great Kanto earthquake of 1923, and is now one of the "High Rise" areas of Tokyo, because of this, apparently the subterranean structure is much more stable that a lot of other areas of Tokyo :dunno:

We just went through some heavy rain, like 4" in a hour, and are going to get some more, with a second typhoon headed our way by Monday :doh:

You can see the Typhoon info here..........

>> JMA <<

in that picture, where it says "UTC" we are just about where the "C" is.

South West of us, they got slammed, 12 dead, 10 missing so far, in some spots they got 14" plus inches of rain in less than an hour :eek:

Harsh!

I experienced a 6.1 from the 32nd floor of one of those Shinjuku high rises a few years ago. Quite a ride. A high frequency vibration, followed by a couple of minutes of building swaying. We heard later it swayed about a metre at the top. The hotel loudspeaker then assued us the building was safe, and apologised for the earthquake :) (It really is The Land of Courtesy )
Glad everyone/thing is okay.
Stay dry tomorrow. Hope you don't have any seepage in the dungeon.

Try to get all that stuff over with in the next few weeks will ya?

Peter

Glad your all safe over there.

Only ever been in one quake, back in my teen years visiting my sister and BIL in China Lake.

I slept through it then accused my BIL of messing with me in the morning for moving my bed while I was sleeping :D

We just went through some heavy rain, like 4" in a hour, and are going to get some more, with a second typhoon headed our way by Monday :doh:

Geez, Stu, first a quake, now *two* typhoons? Did you do something to displease the gods of natural disasters? Or misuse that wood you got from the Shinto shrine? ;)

Maybe it's best to just hole up for a few days? Stay safe, and keep that powder dry! :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

Stu,

Glad you and the family are fine. Any idea how Kumamoto is fairing on the heavy rains?? Couldn't get any response from my wife's family over there.

Stay safe,