wine bottle holders

Dan Noren

Staff member
since the wife has given me my marching orders (for xmas :rofl:), i figured it would be nice to keep the items separated. these 2 blanks are the start of the production run for the wine bottle holders. hopefully tomorrow the wife and i will be going to rockler's tomorrow to check out the different types of wood (as she's paying for the materials). one of these 2 blanks is already spoken for by one of my coworkers who bought the walnut and hard maple cheese board. he wanted a bottle holder to compliment the board. the other is going to be the first of the xmas presents. that's one down, eleven to go... :rofl:

Attachments

• wine bottle thingies.JPG
    wine bottle thingies.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 56
  • walnut and maple blanks.JPG
    walnut and maple blanks.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • board 01.JPG
    board 01.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 40
Dan,Dan,Dan... :(:eek:why are You buying your wood at Rocklers:huh:. :dunno:You can get much better and at abetter price at many other wood supliers in your area. I'm not knocking Rocklers, I often buy stuff from them but realy they are not what I would consider a wood supplier.

the one i go to has a pretty fairish selection. a ways back when the storefront became available, they snapped it up and turned it into a lumber area. once my wife picks out what she likes, we can scoot down the road to forest products supply for the actual purchasing. either way, i've got some work on my hands...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those are great gifts, the're always a hit with a bottle of wine. If you're going to make a lot of them, jigs are real time savers. I found the easiest way to do a batch run is to make your blanks so you can get 2 from each blank. A TS sled makes a clean cut for the base angles, another to cut the taper on the BS to separate them, and another to index and drill the hole on the DP. A belt sander, either stationary or hand held inverted makes cleaning up the cut side and radiusing the end go a lot faster too. They're fun for the first 10 or so, but not so much after that :(

Mike

well, what i did for these 2, is to glue up the blanks, hit the front and back on the jointer to square them up, nip the ends on the table saw (i add a little to the length for this), draw the profile from a template that i made, locate the spot for the hole, drill the hole with a forstner bit (but only to a certain depth), cut the long angle and base on the band saw, then do the cleanup and rounding over the end at my belt/disc sander. these are the 2 that i did today, i still have a little finish sanding (just a light rub with 220), then 3 coats of clear shellac.

Attachments

• walnut and maple bottle holders.JPG
    walnut and maple bottle holders.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 30
Cool stuff, Dan. Looking good. :thumb:

Since shellac is not very resistant to alcohol, I wonder if some type of poly or lacquer might be a better topcoat for the finish? :dunno: