Almost done(maybe)

Well here are a couple pics of the corner desk i've been working on.It's spalted maple with cherry panels and trim. Not sure if i'm gonna add anything else or not. I'm not sure but i might add a pencil drawer and might do some kind of shell carving over the drawer that is there. i still need to put at least 4 more coats of laquor, but i ran out so i'll have to pick up some more this week. If ya all can think of any thing else it needs feel free to let me know, as this is just building on the fly.
thanks and all comments welcome
Steve

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 55
well steve, yur flys are very good flys!!!! that is very purty!!! the drawer in my estimation doesnt need anything else but a handle..and the side panel i hope has some kind of rack support dont like freestanding sides that can get kicked from one side or the other to break joints..that cherry and the spalting is great together and i think yu need to buy more glass for the top it doesnt shine enough:D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

well steve, yur flys are very good flys!!!! that is very purty!!! the drawer in my estimation doesnt need anything else but a handle..and the side panel i hope has some kind of rack support dont like freestanding sides that can get kicked from one side or the other to break joints..that cherry and the spalting is great together and i think yu need to buy more glass for the top it doesnt shine enough:D:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks Larry. As far as the support for the side panel it will have one at the bottom also. It has one at the top you just don't see it.:) as far as glass there ain't any,it's EnviroTex. It's polymer 2 part finish you can get at hobbylobby. I wanted something that would hold up but not take any chances with the granddaughter braking it.

Very interesting, a one of a kind indeed. :thumb:
I don't believe I have ever seen spalted wood used on flatwork before.
And, that finish is incredible.
Repeat wat Larry said, the side panel looks like a structural weak spot, at least from the pictures.

Wow, that's a stand-out combination of woods. I'll echo Larry's comment about the drawer. With wood that nice, I don't know if a carving is really necessary. (In fact, the nice grain might kind of hide the carving anyway.)

Frank, vaughn. Thanks the side panel has a bottom support. (now) Also was woundering about the collumns if they should be the turned ones (that are there) or maybe flutted ones? Here are some close ups of the the collumns and the grain on the side panel.
Steve

Attachments

• 005 [800x600] (2).JPG
    005 [800x600] (2).JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 20