Cellar door finished, 1st installment.

Hi Guys.

A year ago I posted this http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10614&highlight=small+lock and I told you that I started making a door to substitute this one.

Well this year I have finished it and installed, and here there are the first pics.
I kept them unposted because I didn't know when I was going to be able to finish it.
So here you have them, the door is made out of oak, the board where roughly planed at the lumber store by some stupid seller. I wasn't there so I could not choose neither the size of them nor the wood. As at my inlaws I have no tools and even less a planer I had to do my best with what hand tools I had.

I joined the boards using a tongue and groove system that I made with my handheld router ( sorry no pics) you can see here them in first dry fit.
p01.jpg
Then I routed two slots on a square pole and cut them into short pieces that would make the G&G accents on the door. I hope that Glenn and Rennie will indulge me for making such a free use of them;) That fly was there annoying me all the time until I let it appear on the pic:D
p02.jpgp03.jpgp04.jpg
After that, with the aid of a rectangular template, I routed the recesses where the G&G accents where going to be inserted, as I wanted them to appear on both sides of the door this was the only way I thought I could do it.
p05.jpgp06.jpgp07.jpgp08.jpg
Then I rounded all edges both of the board and of the accents with the router, ( now I would have done it differently) and with the aid of a chisel I carved the corner nicks. They do not show clearly here but you'll see them better later on.
p09.jpgp10.jpg

to be continued tomorrow...

comments, critics and suggestions welcome as always:wave:

Cellar door finished 2nd. installment

Here you have the second set of pics.

With the aid of another template I routed out the trapezoidal holes on the top part of the door. Those holes were a request from the owner ( my wife's cousin) because wine needs ventilation when it is fermenting, as fermentation consumes oxigen, and generates CO2 if there is no air renovation the fermentation stops. The shape of the holes was my idea.
Here you can see a partial dry fit.
p11.jpgp12.jpgp13.jpg
This pic belongs to the previous post, it shows how the accents fit on the recesses by notching the tonge ang groove joint. You can see the notch on the top left.
p088.jpg
Here are some pics of the door once installed and with teak oil applied and the original lock mounted.
p14.jpgp155.jpg
p17.jpgp16.jpgp166.jpg
This last pic is taken at the bottom of the cellar, and the guy is the happy owner of the door.
p18.jpg
Tomorrow I post some pics of the cellar so you can see it better.
Thanks for looking.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The door looks awesome, Toni. I really like the little carved corner details on the accent pieces. And to think you did it with just a router, a chisel, and a couple of templates. :thumb: :bow:

Looking forward to the pictures of the cellar. Looks like it is made out of good sized limestone blocks. I was especially intrigued with the archway of the stairway.

Loved the door and the accents that you crafted on to it, but really liked the old latch mechanism. If I remember correctly it is off the old door. I am not seeing any details of the hinge. Did you manage to take pictures of it or can you describe what you did?

That thing is beautiful. I really like the heavy look contrasted with the openings along the top. The accents really set it apart as a custom piece of work. Perfect finish for that location too. The oiled door and the stone walls; beautiful look.

That looks really great. I bet that is one heavy door. Now a question for you. Are the candles on top of the wine barrels for light or something to do with the wine making?

Thanks for the kind comment Rex. The candles are there only for lighting, there is no electrical wiring or whatsoever in it.

Cellar pics

Allright guys, thank you all for your kind comments, but it seems that the cellar itself and its content has arisen more interest than the door itself;):D you bunch of Baccus followers:D:D:D.

Well here they are. The barrels hold 500 liters of wine ( 132 gallons), once the wine has fermented it is bottled and kept, in this town there is always rivality in who makes the best wine and they just keep inviting each other and visitors as well to taste it from each barrel and give your opinion, so some of you would be happy to come wouldn't you?

This is the entrance with the old door removed. The cellars are excavated on the ground, the deeper their are, the cooler it is the temperature inside.
When I took these pics we had about 100ºF outside and only 51ºF inside.
cellar08.jpgcellar01.jpg
This is the end of staircase
cellar02.jpg
These are the barrels lined up against the left wall as you enter.
cellar03.jpg
Same barrels seen from the very end of the cellar (pic with no flash)
cellar06.jpg
On the right hand side there is a small opening to store the bottles, those are left from last year's production. (I got six of them and another 6 from this year;))
botellas01.jpg
This is the old door, you can see it was in a very bad state, but you can appreciate the hinge system used, the door frame (top right) extends beyond the height of the door and it is used as a hinge by making it pivot on a hole on the stone.
cellar17.jpgcellar19.jpg
On the bottom there is a metal pin that is placed on a big hole and raised up by piling several pieces of metal until the door fits and its left plumb. Then the bottom raising pieces are fixed in place with some concrete and that was all.
As the wood pivot scratches against the stone, it gets worn out and the door sags.

Notice as well that it was made from a reclaimed threshing board, and it still has some of the stones on it.

To Bill Satko:

I used a different system, you can see it on the firs pic and on this last one.
cellar07.jpg
I used a dummy board to align them and fix them in the stone with epoxy.
Then removed the dummy board and inserted the door from the front, and fixed it with bolts. The door had those notches to accept the hinges and the L shaped bar hold the door from the top and the bottom.

If you need more details just let me know, I'm sorry I didn't record the setting up process.

Comments, critics and suggestions welcome.:)
To order some wine please line up:rofl::rofl: