Finish before assembly, when and how?

As you all know I'm working on a seven drawer dresser using a frame and panel construction.

I pretend to finish it spraying it with some lacquer or clear satinated varnish, but I'm hesitating about doing it once assembled or before assembling.

As assembling will need some pounding with a rubber mallet I doubt that there would any advantage in finishing it before that, as the mallet blows no matter how light can damage the finish.

What would you do in my situation? Any comment and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Tony,
I always try to finish before assembly however I use wipe on finishes. My spray gun hasn't seen the light of day in over a year. That said when I do restoratioing I don't necesarily disable the pieces it just takes me longer to get all of the little crooks and crannies. Since you will be spraying I'd do all of the prep work including any dyes or stains then assemble then spray.

not being critcle here toni, but why do you have to beat it together? the tenons shouldnt go in that hard.. yu need room for the glue.. if they are to tight once you add glue you can end up like i almost did and have it part together and no more movement had to clamp it together and talk to it severly for a minute or two.. i would finish after assembly and if the panels go in easy and arent gonna get hit then they could have some finish on them but yu need to allow for glue surface somewhere.on the panels.

yes, please, put down the rubber mallet toni, for all of the above reasons.

for some reason, when i think rubber mallet, i see myself using one, and in an almost cartoon way after i hit something, it comes right back up and gets me in the forehead... :eek: (sorry, just my sense of humor)

Toni if you have a spray area assemble the dresser and the drawers and spray separate. I don't see a problem, Thats how we spray after stripping, re-glueing and sanding. We will spray 3 light coats of Sanding sealer Lacquer and sand then another 2 coats and sand then color and follow with 3-4 coats of finish.

not being critcle here toni, but why do you have to beat it together?

First put down the hammer. I like to pre finish when ever possible. It keeps from getting blow back and leaves a better finish.

yes, please, put down the rubber mallet toni, for all of the above reasons.

Toni if you have a spray area assemble the dresser and the drawers and spray separate. I don't see a problem, Thats how we spray after stripping, re-glueing and sanding. We will spray 3 light coats of Sanding sealer Lacquer and sand then another 2 coats and sand then color and follow with 3-4 coats of finish.

Larry, Al, Dan I use the rubber mallet because as I have to be careful with my hands (carpel tunnel syndrome:() I can't and shoudn't bang on the wood with my fist or palm, tenons go in sgnuly but needen't that much brute force as you would think but need some tapping, and the mallet I use is a small one not those huge monsters that you're thinking about.

Dave, thanks for the hint, this is how I will proceed. You'll see the result soon.:thumb: