JA Fay & Egan table saw

roger smith

3184-A.jpg
3184-B.jpg
3184-C.jpg

This is my current project-- 14" , table is 44" x 44", left side of table slides.

This is what it looks like today. I've pulled the motors assembly and taken it to the motor shop to be checked out. Slowly but surely, I'm stripping the paint. They didn't take much time cleaning up the base casting, just lots of 1930's-40's Bondo.:huh:

Attachments

• dscf0655.jpg
    dscf0655.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 102
  • dscf0656.jpg
    dscf0656.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 96
  • dscf0657.jpg
    dscf0657.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 103
  • dscf0658.jpg
    dscf0658.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 96
  • dscf0659.jpg
    dscf0659.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 97
More cast iron in the frame than 10 new Unisaws! Probably 20.

And did you notice the dual blades?? Put on a rip blade and a crosscut and swap then just pull up the one you need. Yea, this is a saw that is a saw!

Could have sworn it came out of my old HS shop. we had one of those brutes (way back when) last teacher junked it and got a Powermatic.

It is a brute. Just keep cranking the blade depth wheel and two seperate blades will rotate, one is a crosscut and the other a rip with riffing knife behind it. just keep turning the wheel and they exchange places. (later we installed carbide blades 16" if I remember right...

Tilt was another problem, Didn't like the tilting table, but we had other saws to do those jobs. But man could it slice and dice some stock. And that fence, fine adjustment was so easy :thumb:

We used a Brett guard over the blade(s)

Have fun on the project and keep us posted. (brings back memories)

Both motors are 5 hp. I've got a bridge crane in my shop that I used to set it. The crane is rated at a measly 1/2 ton. Kind of scary moving it to its final resting place. As I moved, with it about 1/2" off the floor, the building was shaking as the trolleys rolled on the beam. I guess from the way the pickup squatted with it in the back and the building shaking, probably 1200 - 1300 pounds complete.

update

It's taking much longer than I had hoped. I'm starting to wonder what possessed me to recondition the saw to this point. This has got to be the ugliest casting I've ever seen. Usually I knock the rust off the surfaces that rub together and those that the wood rubs against, then call it good. For some reason this time I decided to make it look "pretty", who knew.
dscf0660.jpg

dscf0661.jpg

dscf0662.jpg

dscf0663.jpg

It's taking much longer than I had hoped. I'm starting to wonder what possessed me to recondition the saw to this point. This has got to be the ugliest casting I've ever seen. Usually I knock the rust off the surfaces that rub together and those that the wood rubs against, then call it good. For some reason this time I decided to make it look "pretty", who knew.

Yeah, but with THAT kind of saw FULLY Restored, it will be worth it and you'll have something to Really be proud of. It ought to bring a NICE Price too, if you ever decided to get rid of it.:thumb: Wouldn't a good Sand Blaster really be nice to have when doing a project like this?:D:thumb: