Virus protection and security software?

larry merlau

what do the gurus here recommend?
what is the approx cost per year for it?
does it come witha back up utility as well?
what are your recommendations for Backup?

On my Windoze machines I use Nod32 for anti-virus and Zone Alarm for my firewall, both are not expensive and there is a free trial you can use for a while.

For back up I do two things, one is have a external Hard Disk Drive that is connected with a USB cable, most come with a back up utility already installed, that gives me the local back up, I also pay the $50 a year to use Carbonite.com, it is dead slick and easy to set up etc, plus, you have access to your files, online, from any computer in the world if you need that.

I also have the free Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware software on my Windoze machines, these I run at least once a week.

Cheers!

what do the gurus here recommend?
what is the approx cost per year for it?
does it come witha back up utility as well?
what are your recommendations for Backup?
When I bought my laptop last year I paid the Geeks over at Best Buy an extra $30 to clean all of the 'sample' software (like Norton, Symantic, AOL, etc.) off the hard drive. All of thos programs can be so invasive it really bugs me. I then installed Trend Micro's anti virus and it works in the background, doesn't prompt me constantly with ads to upgrade to this or that, and I hardy know its there. It was not expensive either. I know there is freeware out there for viruses, but I'm satisfied with what I have and what I paid.

As for back up, I'm getting really close to going with Carbonite. Off site back up just seems to make the most sense to me. At $50 a year it's cheap insurance and it will also make moving my files to a new computer (someday) easier.

how does this carbonite work? you pay them to have acess to your computer??? and they do it when they want?

carbonite sounds good!!! and for the small price tag what a life saver once setup right:)

Last edited:
I use AVG for virus protection, $45.00 a year.
Spybot Search and Destroy for the bots and other nasties. Free but I sent a 'donation' check, forget how much.
For backup I use Mozy, believe it is $45.00 a year.
I see lots of 'stuff' at $45.00 a year. That must be the consumers resistance 'break' point.

Very small program you download. Then you determine which files to back up (the defaults pick up all the most common files like .doc, .xls. .jpg, etc) and it uploads them as encrypted files to a secure server via your internet connection. The first upload can take a while and is dependent on your connection speed. Most people recommend just setting it up in the evening and letting your computer run all night.

Everything I've read says the encryption is top notch and totally safe. You also get unlimited space for files. Also, like Stu said, they are accessible from any computer with your log in and password.

I also use AdAware (free) a couple of times a month to keep the spyware out.

I use CA for virus, firewall, etc. It's free with my internet connection. It works great except for when it downloads an update. Can't do anything on the computer until it's done...might be a setup issue or not enough RAM. :dunno:

I only have a few files that need backup (pics and a few word and excel docs) so I just put them on a CD about 1 a month.

Nerd here, just remember no matter how much protection you have it will never be 100% If a company is offering that there product is guaranteed to keep you virus free I wouldn’t trust them. I cant give much advice on home use programs as I get to use business versions at home.

Just remember the basics at all times. Don’t open any attachment even if you know the person right off the bat. Verify that they ment to send you something, Update your virus definitions, download file, scan file, use file. If its a zip file extract it and scan the files inside.

For browsing the web I recommend, I can’t believe I’m doing this but Microsoft has been letting me down when it comes to browser standards, getting maybe firefox and a plug-in that lets you disable JavaScript among other things from all but the sites you allow. This will help keep some web based attacks down. If you install any adobe product like pdf reader keep it up to date people have found ways to attack using a pdf hidden in a web site.

and always always always keep windows automatic updates running if you have high speed if not check weekly for security updates.

If after this you still get a virus just remember it happens nothing is 100% but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. A lot of programs allow users to follow bad habits but you have to break yourself of that.

Wow.. I need to stop posting in threads about computers i can do this all day :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry for the rant, Computers are my passion.:D

A couple of people mentioned online backup services. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would I want to provide all types of personal information to the staff of such a service?

I backup to DVD occasionally and have my most critical information on at least two of my computers.

Anybody home???

Last edited: