ISAIAH'S CRADLE

Made for my grandson Isaiah-made from cocobolo and bull-huff-the cradle swings on two 1" roller bearings inset in the cross pieces behind the little cocobolo plates-
41290004.jpg

41290005-1.jpg

41290006.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

behind the cocobolo plates are the 1" bearings-
IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

rounding off the sharp corners

alex

Top shelf work as usual, Alex. Very nice cradle, and it has the unique look that seems to show up in all your work.

For some reason, Cradles as a piece of Furniture, have very rarely turned me on, although I have admired the fine craftsmanship in them, but this one "IS" one of those Rare ones that I REALLY like. I like the Design, the contrast of the wood selection and especially the construction details of the tenons and the swing detail. :thumb::thumb::thumb: (I really like that cocobolo)

Now..........., I guess I'll show my ignorance, :eek: since no one else will bite the bullet and ask, (OR, am I the only one that has wandered through the woods of life without EVER coming across OR even hearing mention of "bull-huff" wood)??????? Is that its real name, or is it an alias for another common wood? :huh: :huh: What is it and where does it come from? :huh::dunno:

The only thing I don't know about though is that Isaiah may not go to sleep when he is rocked in it, because with the roller bearings and the wedged tenons, it will be "Too Quiet".:rolleyes: All babies I have been around have needed the rhythmic squeal from the swing hangers or the creak from a loose joint to send them off. You may have to go back and build one of those in. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fantastic, sure to become a family heirloom! :thumb:

I too very much enjoy seeing your work, thank you for taking the time, and the pictures and sharing your work with us.

PS, I dunno what Bull-Huff wood is either :huh: :dunno:

First thanks for all the nice things you guys say about my work,coming from my peers it has true meaning; now what is bull huff? Bull huff is from down south (Honduras),it is a dense tight grained hardwood- there is a white bull huff and a black bull huff;the wood used on the cradle is white bull huff. Here are the two side by side--the white is on the left-
IMG_8687.jpg

here is a piece of the white resawed,it always seems to look spalted but I don't know if it really is spalted are if that's just the grain pattern-
IMG_8691.jpg

bull huff might have another name,lots of the wood from down south I know by the names the loggers and wood dealers call them by--for years I only knew goncolo alves by hobea and only recently I learned the wood I know as poison wood is called chechen--one things for sure bull huff is a fun name to say--try it--BULL HUFF .

rounding off the sharp corners

alex

I find any piece you produce inspirational for a novice like myself.
Each piece is unique,designed handsomely, and each piece has a great choice of woods, always beautiful joinery, especially things like the through tenons and the curved leg mortise and tenons joints on this cradle.
You do exceptional work.
Thankyou for posting this.

Last edited:
Edward, like Larry's bed, I sit here and want to touch these projects, go over them and ask a thousand questions and really really see the intimate details in real life. A sentence or two seems such a poor expression of what this type of work (like Larry's bed and others that have been shown) is and expresses. I am so fortunate to be part of this family and actually see the craftsman himself show the finished project. So many of the pieces I have seen I either didn't know or the craftsman has passed on. The details, the joinery, the contrasting woods, the thoughts, the passion, absolutely priceless, beautiful work. You are a craftsman and I would love to shake your hand someday in the hopes some of that talent would rub off onto me. It is my hope to someday make some lasting furniture for my future generations to keep and remember me from. Your talent amazes me. Thank you so much for showing this and sharing.