Tamarind Artists pencil

Frank Fusco

Stabilized spalted Tamarind Artists pencil. I also call these Shop pencils. In the art galleries where my pens are sold, I instruct them to sell them as artists pencils with soft lead and, usually as gifts, as shop pencils with hard lead. I also make sure the shops have a supply of lead on hand.
I had to look up Tamarind since I didn’t know what kind of wood it is. It is a tropical African fruit, primarily from the Sudan region. Also found in India.
It was nice to turn, especially due to the stabilization.
About a half dozen coats of lacquer, shined up with a polishing compound and topped with a high quality carnauba car wax.
I sell a number of these in the shops each year. Wouldn’t call them big sellers but definitely a good item to round out the ‘catalog’ and make an occasional sale that wouldn’t happen otherwise.
And, yes, folks, I misplaced my transparent acrylic display stand and had to (poorly) improvise.

Attachments

• Artists pencil xtra small.jpg
    Artists pencil xtra small.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
There's my shop pencil, I knew I laid it down somewhere!!! How'd you get it Frank??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I also have I think from Hut or Woodturningz gotten the colored lead refills. They sell well with people using them for crafts or drawings. Nice pencil Frank, I really enjoy making and using them. I actually put mine in the truck during the build of my new woodshop as I didn't want to realize later in the game that I built the floor over my pencil!!!!!!!
Sharpener in the top, they are sweet, good job on this one!!!!

Gord, it is spalted Tamarind. I'm editing to add the word 'spalted'. Yes, thanks, it does look nice.
Johnathon, thanks. I use one also made from OO. Takes a bit of extra effort to drill the long hole but, otherwise, they are quick and easy to make.

Very nice-looking pencil, Frank. :thumb: I was gonna say it was a pretty sharp project, but I'll leave the bad puns to Stu. :p

I made one for my BIL out of Afezelia Burl for Christmas last year...He's afraid to lose it. If you screw up the first kit and order another one, you get twice the lead re-fills! opps...shouldn't have said that on this board...my bad