Makita BDF452HW

Ed Gerhard

This is an 18V lithium-ion cordless drill that was given a good rating by Fine Woodworking. Normally I don't pay much attention to those tests, but this one drilled the most holes, drove the most screws, and pretty much did more than whatever else the guy tried. So since I need a new one, why not this one. Here's the real question...right now Amazon has it listed at what seems to be a competitive price, free shipping, and a free battery offer. So that would make a total of 3 batteries with the 2 that come with it. I've read that lithium-ion batteries have a limited shelf life. This is from Wikipedia:
"the charge in an older battery will not last as long as in a new battery due solely to its age", ie, no charge/discharge cycles.
So what's the advantage of 3 batteries if the third one is shot by the time I need it.
I'd be interested in hearing of anyone's personal experience with this phenomenon.

Thanks.

From what I understand the benefits of lithium batteries are;
Consistent power from full charge to empty.
Unlimited shelf life on charged batteries.
Ability to recharge battery when not completely drained without causing a memory loss.

I have one and I love it. But it was given to me. You could probably buy 2 or 3 Ryobis for the price of 1 lithium.

What Don said :D

It is like having three pairs of socks, compared to just two, yeah two is much better than one, but three is much better than two :thumb:

Number and date your batteries as well, with a marker, somewhere you can see it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the inputs...good ideas there.

Just placed the order. My Amazon Visa returns $25 reward certificates, so with one of those applied it came in at $166 for
drill
charger
3 batteries
case.

Cheers.