MacBook MB466

Stuart Ablett

We bit the bullet and bought a computer for our eldest daughter Erika, she wanted a Mac, and so did I, so that is what she got.

Mac recently came out with a new MacBook, the Polycarbonate MacBook MC240, it is a good machine for sure, but I really like the idea of the solid chunk of aluminum uni-body MacBook. In researching it online I found a lot of others shared my view, in fact, I think that Apple also shares my view, as they have basically updated the chipset in the old 13" MacBook aluminum and turned it into the new MacBook Pro 13" notebook. Once we had decided that we wanted the older aluminum MB466, we had to find one, none of the retail shops around here had any we could find, so we went online. We found lots of the shops online were also sold out :doh: but we did eventually find a place that had some. We paid 95,800 yen for this MacBook and boy is it impressive. The fit and finish is great, and for a fairly small notebook the keyboard is just fine, in fact I'm typing on it now, and even for my fat fingers it is just fine!

If you do not know anything about MacBooks, all I can say is that compared to normal notebooks, of which I've owned my fair share, the MacBooks are really well made, solid and seem to last longer than most other brand of notebooks. Some nice features in this MacBook, the large trackpad area that is also a button, yep, the whole trackpad "clicks", and I really find that some of the new functions of the trackpad are very cool, and really intuitive, for example, if you want to scroll, you use two fingers on the trackpad, you don't have to grab that bar on the side of the screen, or roll the wheel on your mouse, very cool, you can also make the text on the screen larger or smaller by placing your thumb and your index finger on the touch pad and opening them (to make the text larger) or by closing them (to make the text smaller) very simple and very intuitive, I had these thing sussed in moments!shop gets the tax write off and Erika will get an almost new computer to take with her to Canada, that, by then, should be all set up how she likes it.

Yep, this thing is dead cool! :thumb:

I'm sure there will be some things to work out, but so far, I'm very impressed. We will use this computer in the L shop until next May when Erika heads to Canada, that way the L shop pays for the computer and we get to use it a while, the L

Congrats on the new toy. :thumb: I've gotta say I've been impressed with my first Apple purchase, so I'm sure Erika (and you) will be happy with the new notebook.

You know the feel of the iPhone, how it just feels like a solid chunk of quality, compared to most plastic cell phones? Well the MacBook has the same feeling, just simply solid, and it is thin and light too, but at the same time feels substantial, kind of odd I know but it just is.

I'm getting along happily with the Apple OS X, simple to use for the most part, there are some odd things I've had to get used to, coming from Windows, like the "Delete" key is actually more like the "Backspace" key and some terminology that is also different, but all in all it just simply works better :thumb:

So you are liking the iPhone?

Cheers!

congrats, that's not even that bad a price! I thought you got gouged there on these things... :(

While on vacation a couple weeks back I met a guy who had made himself a hackintosh netbook using a Dell Mini 10v. He was pretty pleased with it, and boy was it tiny and portable!

I still have a "vintage 2004" twelve-inch G4 powerbook that works pretty well for my portable needs. It runs OS-X Tiger, which is still good enough. I'm amazed at how it keeps ticking along -- to be sure, I don't bang it around and make heavy demands on it!

have fun with it!
...art