I wanna go home

Frank Fusco

We are in Norman, Oklahoma for a family wedding. Didn't think I would have time for the computer. Wrong. Weather changed from warm and rainy to cold and freezing ice, very-very bad conditions. Talk about losing power, staying off roads, etc. A motel isn't the best location for a survival situation without power. Probably not the worst either if water stays on. We are supposed to leave Sunday for Arkansas, not looking good right now. I don't look forward to driving on ice. Have done it much in my lifetime. It isn't the ice that scares me, I can drive slow and safely under most conditions. It is the idiots on the road over which there is no control. Oh, well. Upside is got to see my daughter who came in from Colorado where her husband is stationed in the Air Force. Haven't seen her in a year.

My wife and a couple of her friends were going to go to Kansas City.
She decided to stay home, due to the upcoming threat of freezing rain around here. It is raining now, getting colder.

Take care there Frank. Do be careful if you venture out on those roads;)

I've been to Norman.

Came home with chiggers. :eek:

Don't wanna go back.

Chiggers. Yea. Went to school for 6 years in the panhandle of Oklahoma.
I remember a few of the buggers.
But. Come to Missouri. We have chiggers that will outrank a oklahoma chigger by about 3 pounds:eek: :rofl:

Today, I would welcome chiggers compared to what we have. Wedding is today and driving is extremly dangerous. Haven't seen any snow removal equipment out at all, yesterday or this a.m.

frank, snow removal in oklahoma is a farm tractor and a box blade....sit tight and stay warm it`ll clear off.....

frank, snow removal in oklahoma is a farm tractor and a box blade....sit tight and stay warm it`ll clear off.....

Wedding is in an hour. About half the people who were attending have left. Our daughter almost had to ride home with us to catch a flight out of Springfield or Little Rock but those costs were prohibitive. She got lucky and will ride with other wedding attendees to Dallas where she will get a flight connect back to Colorado Springs. I'm not real anxious to visit OK again for a long time. The hotel (Sooners in Norman) isn't keeping up with the cold, pretty cold inside. Lotsa cars in parking lot ice covered. We took the truck, I have some emergency gear inside and feel better in it than a car. Y'all stay warm.

Well, we are back in Arkansas. Dropped daughter off at airport in OK City, she kept cel phoning us, her 10 a.m. flight, only one of three leaving today, was delated multiple times due to weather. She finally made it to her connect in Dallas and will be back in Colorado Springs about 10 p.m.
We had solid ice all the way until about 50 miles west of the OK/Ark state line. At times there were no other vehicles on I40 at all. Driving speed was often 20-40 mph. There was a lot of tree damage and power loss due to the ice storm. But suddenly, like driving through a magic door, temps rose and sleet changed to drizzle.
I'm not reall anxious to visit Oklahoma again, even though it is a nice state and always nice people. But right now that weather has me happy to be home. I don't understand why the State and cities didn't put out equipment to clear the streets and highways.

Raing here for the past hour. Freezing on top of the ice we have already.
Hope the power lines can handle it.

Our snow plow has disappeared I guess:huh:
Haven't seen it since this ice came down two days ago.
We're basically stuck at home.
Have 4 wheels drives, but isn't worth the risk. Way to many hills and curves around here. 22 miles to the closest real grocery store.
We always keep food stocked. Flour for bread.
We keep 20 or so jugs of water also. In case elec. goes out and can't run the well.
Have wood heat with LP backup that doesn't require electricity.
So we'll ride it out I guess

Glad to see you made it home OK, Frank. You all stay warm. It's even freezing in SoCal. :eek:

Thanks. We learned that many of the folks attending the wedding are still stranded in the motel.
This morning wifey and I reflected on our drive back. There was a reason why we had an empty interstate all to ourselves. I grew up in ice country and am accustomed to driving on it. But I also know it is risky. I stayed slow and steady. That's rule #1. Rule #2 is to forget you have brakes. Rule #3 is to maintain a big interval. And I do mean big, a half mile is sometimes not excessive.