Input requested on router table

Lee Laird

I currently have an old craftsman router table (short aluminum with a ridged top surface) that is pretty lame. I've wanted an upgrade for a long time (since the mid-80s) but haven't made or bought one. I just saw an interesting one over at the Grizzly site. It's model Number G0528 Router Table . Does anyone have any experience with this product? I'd appreciate some thoughts on this.

(I've got an older Makita 3.5hp router, an old Sears 1 3/4hp piece of junk, and a Triton 2 1/4hp. Just to lay the ground-work)

Thanks in advance,

Lee
I made my router table in the winge of my TS. It has served me well. I can use the TS fence for a router fence and since space is a premimium in my shop I like it. I have made several jigs that fit on the fence and feel that based on my limited space it is the best I can hope for. That is unless I wion the lottery and can build the untimate shop.

Don,

Thanks for your input. :D Your shop sounds very similar to mine. ;) I had thought about doing the same as what you've done. Presently, I'm so crowded that instead of installing the extension table between the 52" rails, I slipped my 1100 cfm dust collector into that space. :doh: :dunno: I know I'm shot down if and when I have to cut some wide sheet-goods, but I'm not needing it at present. I'd actually planned to get the shorter rail version of my SawStop, but my wife talked me into getting the biggest one. I'm not certain I can even make room for the Grizzly unit I was looking at, but seems every time I get something new, I'm able to slip it in somewhere. :rofl:

Regards,

In that price range there is a lot to choose from. I would collect the thoughts of some of the members here before moving forward. The DC footprint and the RT would be about the same. Adding a router table wing could solve your potential sheet goods issue by moving the DC to where the Griz table might stand(?).

I put a wing on and eventually built a cabinet under it and gained some storage and DC for the table. There is only fence dust collection on the Griz table so you would need to box it in or let 'er blow.

I've had a variety of router "tables" over the years, starting with a Craftsman tabletop unit. I've built my own tabletop unit and a cabinet built around a Rockler manufactured top. I've had an insert in the extension of my Jet tablesaw. When I built my current shop, I wanted plenty of space around the table saw that would also serve my table router work.

Here's what I have now.

The router support is two layers of 3/4" MDF with surrounding support built like a torsion box. The Incra jig base mounts in six 1/4"-20 threaded inserts in the table. In addition to being a great router table, I can lay a full 4'x8' sheet on the assembly prior to running it through the tablesaw.

Glenn and Patrick,

Thank you both for the info. I'll see what the Bosch unit looks like.

Bill,

My wife and I have talked about making a shop in the future, so I'll definitely log away your info. l like the layout and functionality of your shop. Thanks for the info.

I'll continue to look around. In the end, I may just build one so I'll have the features that I desire. Luckily, I'm in no hurry. I can always fall back on the old Craftsman unit, at least for a little while. <grin>

Regards,

Like Patrick, I have the Craftsman re-badged Bosch as well. (Craftsman 26608 and Bosch RA1171) I picked mine up for $50 a few years ago. The only complaint I have is the mounting plate is plastic and with a Hitachi M12V hanging on it, it sagged. I picked up the Bosch insert which is die cast aluminum. It is larger, so it will need a bit of rework on the top.

When I was in my local Sears this weekend, they had theirs on closeout for around $150. If choosing between the two units, unless the price goes much lower on the Craftsman (like $50 :D), I'd go with the Bosch to avoid the mounting plate issue. http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1171-Cabinet-Style-Router/dp/B000H14DLY

Good luck sorting all the options!

Wes

Patrick and Wes,

Appreciate the additional information. Good to know the difference between what sears is selling as theirs and the true Bosch.

I don't know if anyone has the same Triton router that I have, but I haven't seen many of the produced tables that talk about matching up with the hole pattern of this router. Anyone know of a table that is a known fit for the hole pattern on the Triton??

Thanks again to everyone and keep the info coming,

The bosch table is set up for their routers. I have the sub $100 craftman router combo so highly regarded over at routerforums.com. I found that two of the holes aligned so I only had to drill one new one. The hole for the above table height adjustment didn't match so I just adjust from underneath.

If you want to go the home made route I've attached a series of images for a table built by the venerable Rod Kirby over at the bt3central forums. As you can see it's quite a masterpiece.

Attachments

• newrtblwip.jpg
    newrtblwip.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
  • tritondc1.jpg
    tritondc1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
  • srt.jpg
    srt.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 9
  • sfence.jpg
    sfence.jpg