New shop options

Al killian

Well do to some changes around here it looks like I will be building a new shop. I have close to 30 white pinelogs stacked waiting for cutting. Most are over the 25" + across, some 35" +. I am thinking of useing suno(sp?) for the pillirs and placeing the post on them. If I go this route then I will not need to buy pt post, which will save me a big chunk of change. For the floor I was thinking going with a few inches of gravel packed and platic over it. Then I can lay a wooden floor for now. Other option is to go with a stick built method and pour a trench footer and bulid of that. By the way, there are no building codes in that town. Size will be around 30'wx60'lx10' ceiling. Trusses are still not decided if we are going to go w/ prefabed or built on site. I have 6+ acres on the new site and hardly any houses around me.:thumb: Ideas good or bad are welcome. Plan on useing tin for the outside unless I can get ply and siding cheaper.

I am assuming that you are leaning toward a pole style of building. Are you thinking of building piers with footers or friction style piers? I would lean toward the footer style unless you have someone that can help you calculate out the friction requirements based on your soil and building loads. It is easy to over build a footer style and feel confident that you will not have settlement problems. Just my two cents worth. I don't know your experience. Is there a nearby building (on the same type of soil) built on piers that you can copy its foundation?

Preferable one that still looks nice and plumb.:D

When you consider buying formwork (both sonotube and lumber), rebar, anchor bolts and concrete, it might still be cheaper (especially factoring the labor required) to go with pressure treated posts.

in your case, if you arent looking for a concrete floor now go with a pole type construction al and use treated poles save your pine logs for the roof sheathing or interior floor and siding. that would be your quickest turnaround and cheaper than footings and stick built..i myself wouldnt waste the money on a sand floor,,raise it up and run joists with treated or cement block support to make the spans sturdy run your pine decking on the floor and have happy feet:)

I gues I am going with treat post and floor joist. Will post picks once I get started. The only draw back to where it will be is very long driveway. The drive way will be 100' long to the seasonal road and 1/2 mile down that road to the main back road. Are you confused yet?

...The drive way will be 100' long to the seasonal road and 1/2 mile down that road to the main back road. Are you confused yet?

Nope! My driveway is 150 feet to the street, and 0.3 miles from there to the County Road.

Winter can get to be a challenge. I plow my own driveway, and the folks along the street (including me) then plow that, out to the County Road.

Jim, I know the floor you speak of. Listen to Larry and the others, the time making the joists and I did ship lap joints, amazing to see as well as walk on. Your feet, legs, knees, legs, hips, and body will continually thank you!!

Al,

So is there power already there or do you have to run that too?
Nope, no power. Well, I just found out the town is not going to let me build my shop their.:( It is zoned as vacation land and for homes. No commerical buildings allowed.:doh: So now I am going to take over my buddies barn and run new power lines to it and get it fixed up to what I need.

Nope, no power. Well, I just found out the town is not going to let me build my shop their.:( It is zoned as vacation land and for homes. No commerical buildings allowed.:doh: So now I am going to take over my buddies barn and run new power lines to it and get it fixed up to what I need.

Bummer, but this way you'll be working in the new shop sooner, right?

Al, put up a pole barn as a toy garage (vacationeers always need to put away their boats, 4 wheelers, motorhome, golf carts, etc). So, then in the extra space when all those things are outside (under the eaves) work with wood.