Router plate?* FOLLOW UP

Jeff Horton

Not a big fan of routers and rarely use mine. I have one of those Delta Router/Shaper units I have been using but the table is pretty small. So I have this large extension table on the Unisaw and realizing that I should just mount a router in there.

Since I am not a tool junkie like some of you guys. ;) I don't keep up with all that is out there and the options. So what is a cheap way to mount the router in the plywood and it be quick to remove? I assume a router plate? But I am looking for something cheap,I have a shaper and I just not going to spend tons of money on this. It will be set up with a roundover bit and a pattern bit and that is probably it.

Last edited:
I have mine mounted in 1/4" plexiglass from the borg. Just a few bucks and though not as stiff as an actual metal router plate, I have not noticed enough deflection to cause any alarm.

I have mine mounted in 1/4" plexiglass....

That is the kind of answer I like! CHEAP! :rofl:

I got to thinking that there isn't much reason not to just make one from plywood. If I use the same thickness all I have to do is put rails on the bottom. I probably have the materials laying around to do this.

And if you go that route, make a second blank that you can just pop in to have a solid top. That way you don't have to change the bit height if you need to use the saw. I did this in the first TS extension I built, using 2 layers of 3/4" MDF with formica on it. It was some salvage counter top material from the place I worked. Never actually got to the point of mounting my old B&D freebie router before I got the Woodpecker PRL and PC 7518 to do things right. But then I don't have a shaper either, so would probably do the same as you are thinking of doing if I had one. Jim.

Jeff, I made a simple plate out of 1/4" cold rolled steel. I just measured out and scribed cut lines and drilled a pilot hole for the center hole and then used a jig saw to cut it out. Drilled and chamfered some mount holes. A little sanding and clean-up and a coat of paint and you have a nice sturdy router plate.

Jeff...

A router plate gets my vote, the question is which one and how much functionality.

My first one was what you're thinking...made it of 1/4" plywood to fit in a cutout in the tablesaw wing (this wing was cast with the plate opening, but you've already figured out how to support yours). Drilled and countersunk some mounting holse, did some sanding to get it flush, and hung a PC 7518 on it. Worked okay, but I found it to be a pain in the neck...reaching underneath to set bit height, and popping the whole thing out to change bits. It met the cost objective, but not much more. It may suit your needs fine, since you don't use the router much. Good advice to make a second one after the first one fits.

Eventually I went the same route as Jim with the Woodpecker's PRL. I know Glenn Bradley has one of these as well. I like this tool a lot. Everything can be done above the table, and bit height setting is very precise. I paired mine up with an Incra Lead Screw Positioner, and with this combination both bit height and fence position is very precise. It ain't the cheap solution, but I'd never go back. I also have a Grizzly G1026 3HP shaper, and since I installed the PRL I never use the shaper...I'm planning to sell it. The work I do doesn't require the extra muscle of a shaper, but that may not be the case with your boats. There are other router lifts besides Woodpecker's that get good reviews if you eventually work your way to that solution.

Cheers.

Ed,
That's a nice video. I need to do just that for my new plate. Shows how easy it is. (famous last words)

Jeff,
I picked up a die cast aluminum Bosch plate and a set of 3 insert rings (plastic) for $28 shipped from ereplacementparts.com. (shipping was almost $9) Just another option if you haven't already knocked one out of wood.

Wes

With the latest boat finished I started to actually produce some kit parts. As I said I was using the Delta Shaper/Router and it just doesn't spin as fast as a router and the small table were just annoying.

So Saturday I gave up and decided it was time to dive in and tackle this project. I decided the simplest thing was just to make one from plywood. Why buy one when I could do it for free? My extension table is 3/4" birch ply and I found a piece of 3/4" in my scrap bin.

I squared it up and marked my extension table. Cut out the hole, rabbited the edge with the router. Fitted the blank in the hole and rabbited it.

I drove a nail in the center of the blank and spun the router around the nail with a square end bit and routed out the scrap. Mounted the router and away we go.

2-3 hours and scraps. PRICELESS! ;)

And if look at all the sawdust everywhere you can tell it worked quite well.

Now I just need to make blank for when I remove the router and maybe a third for my good router.

Attachments

• Imgp1011.jpg
    Imgp1011.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Imgp1008.jpg
    Imgp1008.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 43
  • Imgp1009.jpg
    Imgp1009.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Imgp1010.jpg
    Imgp1010.jpg