Ridgid and Home depot

allen levine

This is my review of the Shop Vac Ridgids 5 hp that HD put on sale July 4th for 29.99
The vac is strong and works great. There were no attachments, just a 2 section arm and small floor attachment.
Ive had it for about 6 weeks, only used it 4 or 5 times.
The hose, cracked already.
I had my genie(still do), for 16 years before the hose cracked. And I used it for anything, from water to sludge to leaves to food and assorted other debris. It is only a 2.5 HP, and I wanted a bit stronger.
So 29.99 for the vac, a replacement hose starts at 17.00 dollars, I bought the more flexible 10ft hose for 37.00 dollars. They got me.

Hi Allen,

We are very hard on shop vacs out in the field, and the only ones we use are the large Ridgid vacs(don't recall the model-they cost about $150 at HD). These machines have held up well with heavy use for the last 5+ years. We use those expensive upgrade hoses and just expect the cheap ones to get torn up. The one good thing I can say about the Ridgid vacs is that it is easy and cheap to get what we need (HD's on every other corner around here:D ) and I just treat them as disposable job supplies.

My two high dollar Festool vacs get treated much,much better.:)

That is a bummer. I've been dragging my 25ft Ridgid hose all over the shop for 5 years or so with no problem. I also have a small Ridgid that I got for about $25 during a Christmas sale 3 Chritmases ago. I swing the hose between various tools on a switched outlet rig, no problems. I'd call it a defective hose and ask for a replacement. Even though you already bought the other hose, a spare section can come in handy. BTW, the 25ft hose was about $30 online from Ridgid.

Dunno nuttin' 'bout Rigid.
But, locally, it seems other folks feel about Home Depot the same way I do. It is a place to avoid.
On any given day the Lowe's parking lot is full. The HD parking lot would be a good place to play cannons.
There has to be a reason. I have mine, actually many.

when I purchased it, I didnt want a hose smaller than 2.5 inch. I read over every inch on the box, it made no mention of hose size, and I had no clue hoses came smaller, 1 7/8 inch.
I just thought its funny that they sell it, but the replacement hoses, the better quality ones, are made for 2.5 inch with 1 7/8 inch attachments so you can use it for the smaller diameter.and at 37 bucks, thats more than the vac.