Crumple Zones Work...

Art Mulder

And now for something a bit on the lighter side...
(Hey, Stu talks about his vans, so why can't I talk about mine?)

Here's my former "ride" -- 2004 Toyota Sienna CE, 8 passenger model. Great van, treated us well for almost 5 years, and saved my bacon on June 20 of this year...

front-left-mid.jpgfront-right-mid.jpg

As you can see, crumple zones work.

I wasn't even going that fast, but both airbags did their thing:
interior-airbags-mid.jpg

I'll tell you, though, I didn't realize that airbags destroy the dashboard completely. The passenger side airbag punches right THROUGH the dash when it deploys. As soon as my insurance agent heard that both airbags had deployed he told me to start shopping. But I said he hadn't even seen the car yet. Didn't matter, he said, if both airbags go, the car is likely a write-off.

(ps: I'm fine, I was alone in the van, I'm not even sure that I touched the airbags. The other car had a football-sized dent in their bumper, and the muffler hanging a bit, but she drove it home. Mine had the airbags deploy, the hood fold in half, the bumper flipped down, and the rad smashed back, and was towed to the salvage compound. Part of the issue, I think, was that my front end nosedived and went under her bumper.)

The next 6 weeks were a headache. First I had to negotiate a fair price with the insurance agent, which went okay but was just tedious. Then my wife and I quickly realized that 2nd hand 8-passenger minivans were just not really common. That rather made things a bit easier, as I negotiated a new purchase over the phone + email without even driving a van.

How could I do that? Like this:
new-van.jpg

Not much reason to test-drive, I figured, if you're just buying the same van again. Yup, just got it a bit more than a week ago, 2010 Sienna CE, 8 passenger.

Happiness is a odometer with almost nothing on it (that's km, by the way)
new-odometer.jpg

Couldn't get one off the lot, though; it had to come from the factory. 7-passenger vans are everywhere, but the 8-passenger option is just not common. Hence the 6 week wait.

People ask us why we insisted on an 8-passenger. Here's why:
new-rear-space.jpg

With 2/3 of the rear seat folded, I can still fit four kids in the back, and still have bucketloads of cargo space. We find it to be extremely versatile, I don't understand why it isn't more popular.

And here's one little idea we picked up off the web:
new-runner.jpg
That is a 5' length of clear vinyl carpet runner -- the kind with all the little bumps/nubs on the bottom that people sometimes put on their stairs to protect the carpet. We cut this to fit in the two back rows, and hopefully will help keep the dirt/sand/etc out of the carpet. We'll see how that goes.

So, not quite as funky as Stu's tiny little microvans, but I like it fine.

Last edited:
Glad to see you came out unscathed, Art. :thumb: And congrats on the new van.

Note to self: Don't loan my vehicles to Art. :p

A-hem. 28-and-a-half years of driving. Never even received a speeding ticket in all that time. One little accident. I think I'll stand by my record... :biker:

You've got me beat. ;) I've had a few moving violations and one major wreck (totaled my Bronco) in that time span.

Nice van!
We rented one of those when we went to Canada the last time, love it, nice around town and great on the highway!

Even the same color!

I too thought the jump seats in the back were a great idea :thumb:

Congrats on the new van, and I too am happy you were not hurt. My sister just had her car totaled in Vancouver, some drunk woman ran into it at speed when it was parked and she was in a doctor's appointment, her car got pushed under an SUV. She is happy that she was not hurt nor was anyone else, but she is not happy, as this is the first "new" car she ever bought and she just got it the end of May!!

Does yours have the V6? The one we rented had the V6 and boy, for a van it moved along nicely and the gas mileage was OK too. Yours comes with the HID lights? I was pleasantly impressed with those suckers, wow, the road really lights up at night!

Great van, I'm sure you will kill that 19Km low reading on the odometer in no time :D

That van in made in the US for North America only, and the funny thing is here in Japan, Nissan makes a mini van with a very similar name, the Nissan Serena..................
nissan_serena.jpg
............... so our Japanese friends who went with us, thought we had rented a Nissan at first :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
A-hem. 28-and-a-half years of driving. Never even received a speeding ticket in all that time. One little accident. I think I'll stand by my record... :biker:

Glad you're okay.. wish could say I have your record, but as a younger (much younger) man, I drove Corvettes for a few years... I could get a speeding ticket parked at the curb... however, never got a ticket for more than 10 miles over.. no matter what speed I was traveling.:D

Got slammed into a few times.. broadsided in my '59 Impala by president of American Philippino association, rear ended in my '65 'vette, rear ended in my '67 'vette, rear ended in my 72 VW (I was married by now with kids)...
only front end damage I ever had, I rear ended a cop car in my wife's Ford Cortina...:eek::eek: no damage to cop car, $1000 to my right front finder... I nose dived under his bumper too. ... In my defense, he stopped in front of me without benefit of brake lights and on a wet street.... even he said if I had had another 3 feet to slide wouldn't have hit him.

Nice van!
We rented one of those when we went to Canada the last time, ...
Does yours have the V6? The one we rented had the V6 and boy, for a van it moved along nicely and the gas mileage was OK too. Yours comes with the HID lights? I was pleasantly impressed with those suckers, wow, the road really lights up at night!

Great van, I'm sure you will kill that 19Km low reading on the odometer in no time :D

That van in made in the US for North America only,

I've almost never seen Toyotas at the rental agencies. They're dominated by domestics. After the van was totaled we had a dodge grand caravan rental for a few days... really hated the fact that the side windows didn't open at all.

As far as I know they all have a V6 ... yeah I checked the brochure, all the models have the same 3.5 liter 266hp V6. Haven't taken this on the highway yet, but we've hit 100k on the back roads on the way to the beach last weekend... didn't break a sweat. :thumb:

Can't find anything in the brochure about the headlights... :huh: