I'm so frustrated right now.

Is there much difference between the Grizzly 14" G0555 and the G0555X. I know the X stands for the "Extreme" edition...but is it worth the extra money? the regular 14" will also take a riser. I'm just trying to find what would be right for me without spending more than I need to for more machine than I will need.

Tom

Tom it depends on how big you want to cut. The neighbor has the G0555 and I have the X model. I can tell you the extra 1/2 hp does make a difference especially when cutting blanks that are over 6" thick. When he needs to cut a 8" or 10" thick blank for coring he comes and uses mine. Of course a good blade makes a big difference to.

I have spent the last couple of evenings reading as much as I can about band saws and the different models and brands. I have come to the conclusion that the Grizzly 14 inch "X" model with the riser is what I want. In my opionion...it is alot of money for a band saw for my current needs however, if I had it I could see myself using it for projects that I do not currently do. I used to have a woodworking craft booth every year at a local festival and it might be fun to get back into doing that. Soooo, I think the Grizzly G0555X 14 inch is what I'm going to try to get. I would certainly like to find a used one to save a few dollars but I don't see very many of them on the market. I might keep looking for a used one for a while and if nothing turns up I might have to buy myself an early Christmas present. I saw on Grizzly's website that they have a few showrooms that you can go to and purchase from them there. One of them is near Branson Missouri. I asked my wife if she would like to do a weekend get away to Branson and she said "SURE". Now I only have to figure out how to hide the saw in the back seat on our way back. LOL

Tom

OK, I know this warning is WAYYYYYY too late but; Step away from the slope!

All kidding aside, sorry for your frustration. I had a 12" BS that was so-so. I bought a 17" G0513X which I love. I realized I shoulda kept the small saw too and bought an old 10" Delta which works great.

Determine the height you need to saw and everything else will fall into place on your BS decision. I would look at what it would take to fix your small saw too. Maybe it was just the wrong blade for the job or did the poor thing just self destruct?

LOL, Glenn I'm fine now. It's been a couple days and I have calmed down and am thinking clearly again. Thanks for the warning though. LOL Anyway... My little bandsaw was something that I found at an auction about 10 years ago and it was pretty well worn out then. I think I only paid about 15-20 dollars back then for it. I've only used it to make crosscuts in 3/4 inch pine for small craft projects. It never would handle any scroll work of any kind. I will open it up and see what happened to it but I don't see myself putting any money into it. Actually I think the only thing that happened is the blade came off track and then got wound up in it. The tension on the blade was never very good.
I have read about many different saws over the past couple of evenings. I have not read one bad review on the grizzly saw. I actually read some positive reviews about the Harbor Frieght 14 inch saw with a riser added. It would only be about 1/2 the cost.
I recently turned 50 and have skimped and saved money my whole life. I've decided that it's time to stop being so cheap. I have the money, it's just hard to let go sometimes.

Tom

WELL...before I pull the trigger what else should i need with the Grizzly machine. I have the machine, riser and mobile base in my shopping cart. Are their blades any good or should I shop somewhere else for blades. I've read of Olsen and Timberwolf.

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, don't bother with the Grizzly blades. You won't be happy. I personally don't care for Olsen blades, either, but some folks do. The Timberwolf 3tpi blade is good for wet wood, but after (finally) listening to Tod Evans, I'm sold on the blades from Ellis Manufacturing. In my experience they are at least as good, if not better than the other "name brand" blades. For green wood, you'd be looking at the "flexback" blades listed on the linked page, in either the either the 3/8" or 1/2" 3tpi hook configuration. The Timberwolf will cost you about $18 to $20 each. The Ellis blades are about $7 or $8 each. Ellis has a minimum order of $50, but bandsaw blades are consumables sort of like sandpaper...they wear out eventually and need to be replaced. You can get a few blades for green wood and one or two thinner blades for cutting tighter curves, and for $50 probably be stocked up for several years.

And I didn't answer earlier, but I also have a mobile base on my bandsaw. Good to see you're planning on one, too. :thumb:

Tom...

I have a Grizzly bandsaw, but I'm with Vaughn on not fitting it with Grizzly bands (been there done that). I've been using Timberwolf, which I like a lot, but after Vaughn's post I'm going to try the Ellis bands. You might think about getting a band or two from Timberwolf because they will be excellent, then with that experience behind you branch out...always good to have a benchmark.

I'm on my third bandsaw (Grizzly G0513, same as Glenn), and I can recommend going for the best you can swing. Here's a way to swing it, which I've used a few times while outfitting my shop...the next time you get a credit card offer for 0% interest for 12 months sign up. Charge the G0513 to this card...right now it's free shipping, so that will cost you about $83 per month for 12 months. Do not charge anything else to this card (don't even carry it with you), and pay religiously on time (else you will be liable for past interest charges). I would always set this up to pay online, with a postit on the monitor for a reminder. When the $995 is paid down, cancel the card. Get your bandsaw now with no money down, no interest. It works, but it requires discipline. Your credit rating will not be affected (well, maybe positively), and trust me, you will continue to get 0% interest cc offers long after your ashes have been scattered over the back yard.

Cheers.

Is the blade that comes with the riser kit even worth putting on or should I not even bother with it. Is it that bad? I will be cutting out bowl blanks as soon as its up and running. What type (not brand) of blade is best for that?
3tpi?

Tom

I installed the blade that came with the riser kit just long enough to try a couple cuts. I don't remember for sure, but I think it might be a bit too fine (high tpi count) to use on green wood. It'll work, but not great. For green wood bowl blanks, I think most folks use a 3tpi hook tooth blade. I usually use a 1/2" 3tpi blade, but most of my blanks are relatively big (10" or so and up). If you're planning to cut smaller blanks and tighter curves, I'd recommend a 3/8" 3tpi blade.

I drove to Indianapolis today and went to the Woodcraft store there. I picked out a Timberwolf 1/2" 4tpi blade just as a sales associate walked up to me. He asked if he could help so I explained that I had a new saw coming that I will be cutting out bowl blanks with. He looked at my blade choice and said that there was no way I would be able to cut anything curved with a 1/2inch blade. He told me that a 1/2" blade was only for resawing. He said that I could go no larger than a 3/8". Well they didn't have any 3/8" in stock so I went ahead and got the 1/2". I hope it works. They are not cheap.
Grizzly's shipping company has notified me that my new saw will be delivered on Monday. I'm looking forward to it.

Tom

Tom, I have 1/2 inch on my bandsaw and while I won't be doing any scroll work, It seems to be fine for cutting bowl blanks. One of the saw blade manufacturers has a chart on their website, can't remember which one, but I do know I was surprised to see how tight a curve THEY said was possible with a 1/2 blade. Anyway, your going to make it round on the lathe, the bandsaw just needs to get close.

Congrats on the saw! :thumb:

I use the Viking Brand from Lee Valley, (for whatever reason they used to be called "Timber Wolf":dunno:) and I very much like the 3/8" Hook tooth 3tpi for bowl blanks.

From the LV homepage.........

The 3/8" x 3 tpi blade is fast cutting but rough, useful for cutting thick carving or turning blanks.
The Viking® 1/2" x 3 tpi blade will resaw thin straight strips, with no cupping or bowing of the blade, or any dimensional change during the resaw. It will resaw material up to 12" thick and can also be used for turning blanks.

Emphasis added :)

The 105" blades are $22.40 for the 3/8" and $23.80 for the 1/2"

They work well, and I still have one or two kicking around that are serviceable, but next time I order some, I'll be seeing if Ellis Manufacturing that Tod recommends will ship to Japan. :thumb:

Best of luck on Monday, take pictures! :D