Curly Jacaranda Bowl Set

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is some more of the jacaranda I got from the neighbor two houses down. This blank had some nice curl to it, so I cored the little one out of the bigger one. The mama bowl is about 9" x 2 1/2", and the baby bowl is 6" x 1". They are both finished with Formby's Tung Oil Finish and buffed with PL compound.

Bowl 071 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 071 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 071 - 03 800.jpg

I got a little carried away finishing the bottom of the little one, but didn't quite break through. It's thin enough that I didn't brand my initials onto it. :doh:

Bowl 071 - 04 800.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome as usual...

Before I read the caption for the "see through bowl" or looked at the larger image, I thought you had mounted some kind of gold coin in the bottom on purpose.

Got anything like a golden video arcade token hanging around? :dunno:

I like the bowls and you take very good pictures by the way.......
Last one that has the thin bottom is great to - I made one with the bottom thin like that on accident but after sanding well with wet/dry and oil it came out looking great and a friend bought it because she like how translucent it was.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Lee, the jacaranda is real soft and light. It likes to tear out somewhat, but it sands very easily. All in all, it's a pleasure to work with. This blank and several others came from a tree two houses down the street from mine. They did a major trimming last year, and I got a few of the bigger branches.