Jewelry chest with legs-walnut, spanish cedar/lingerie cabinet mahogany/maple drawers

allen levine

This is my second attempt at cabinet part, first one glued up crooked, too much clamp pressure.
Not sure if walnut and spanish cedar will work colorwise, but then again, Im not too sure about anything I build when I start.
Im taking my time and having fun.
The unit will have two drawers, one will have ring cushion inside, the top cabinet part will have walnut panel doors, spanish cedar frames, the walnut cut into 1/4 slice from thicker stock, no glueups on any of this.
Legs are tapered on 2 sides.
There will be 2 necklace carousels in center cabinet. Brass knobs for all handles.
Drawer fronts will be spanish cedar. finish will be oil and then rubbed on poly,4-6 coats.
Took a few pics, showed how I routed the walnut edges, (My selection of ogee, roundover, or cove bits is about 4, so there isnt much of a selection for me, I will buy more bits one day, Im just lazy)
Sorry about some of the picture quality, hands have shut down today, and I had to leave the garage before my eyes shut down also.

After forgetting to rabbet out the back on the first attempt, I forgot again on the second attempt, but had only stuck a few pins in to hold it in position when I clamped, but I got it apart easy enough, finally put the rabbet in for back.(back will be sapele ply-1/4 inch)
Just though Id share my next attempt.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1201 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1201 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 123
  • wood stuff 1206 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1206 (Medium).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 102
  • wood stuff 1205 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1205 (Medium).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 92
  • wood stuff 1204 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1204 (Medium).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 100
  • wood stuff 1203 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1203 (Medium).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 98
  • wood stuff 1202 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1202 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I dont think I build faster than anyone. I just think I have alot more time to spend at it then most do that do it only as a hobby.
Its therapy for me most of the time. (only yesterday, but that box had it coming)

...(only yesterday, but that box had it coming)

Another slant on Dan's comment...sometimes it's simply necessary to perform the Hammer Test on things. It can be especially satisfying (and therapeutic) on things like calculators with stuck keys, or woodworking projects that don't want to cooperate.

finished all the parts today, made the drawers, 1/2 inch spanish cedar, butt jointed with pins, I love that grex, just gotta get used to that middle finger release trigger. Rabbeted out the bottom for sapele 1/4 ply bottom, will be covered anyway.
Drawers fit, didnt attach the drawer fronts yet, cut the two door frames for top. Had to use mahogany for the drawer fronts. Had a huge short piece all cracked, so I cut it up and planed/jointed it till I got some useful pieces.
Heres the pics. dont know why I continue to post pics, Im sure Im putting alot of you to sleep, but Ill share it if someone still looks. (nothing besides the drawers are glued, so the top doors look crooked, thats because I am balancing them for the picture to see what it will look like)
Back to work so the shop is shut down, then Ill be away till next tues or weds.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1220 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1220 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 71
  • wood stuff 1218 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1218 (Medium).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 61
  • wood stuff 1216 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1216 (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 58
  • wood stuff 1215 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1215 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 59
  • wood stuff 1214 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1214 (Medium).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 61
  • wood stuff 1212 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1212 (Medium).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 88
  • wood stuff 1209 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1209 (Medium).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 61
  • wood stuff 1207 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1207 (Medium).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 72
  • wood stuff 1221 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1221 (Medium).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Allen, do you have any idea how much your woodworking skills have improved over the past year or so? You're kickin' butt and takin' names, buddy. :wave:

The jewelry cabinet is looking good so far. :thumb:

Do I need to put spaceballs inside the door frame?
The insert is cut from one piece of walnut, no glueup, and I cant picture it expanding, so I was thinking of just putting atouch of glue in there to keep it in place.

Space balls are nice Allen for rattle free panels, just DO NOT compress more than 50% (go a little less) they CAN bleed into the end grain of the panels if over compressed, and yes I speak with experience on the bleeding :p:eek:

I believe that this is your humid time of the year (it is the reverse for me), meaning that your wood has probably absorbed this moisture in order to be at equilibrium with the world. This winter and when you bring it into the house, the panel will shrink and rattle unless you have something that will keep it in place or you have space balls which will expand when the wood shrinks, keeping it from rattling.

Last edited:
Ny niece asked me for something with legs, only because she doesnt have table top space for a jewerly box, doesnt want to block any mirror space on the dresser I guess. Dont matter, she wants legs, I gave her legs.
When I thought up a design,something I thought I could build, originally, I didnt have an apron, just curved supports, like half moons on each side of the leg attached to chest underneath.
But then I thought, one day she will have a different room, maybe very close, since she graduating this year, might get a job and shes the type that will want her own place. So then she might have space, want to put it on a dresser or something. So I figured if I make the base like a small table, for lets say a telephone, or a little chatchka or picture frame, she'll have a nice small walnut table. So at this point I dont think Im going to attach the base to the table, Im going to leave it in two pieces.

Allen, you are not putting anyone to sleep. I have been lurking, but realize through my wood shop build that many lurk and don't post. Then you (the poster) do not know if you are being laughed at, wondered at, or what is going on. So, I am posting a reply to explain my lurking status and changing it so you are aware you are building a project I hope to complete for some in my family some day and your posting is going to be invaluable to me then!
So keep posting, keep explaining both the good, the bad and the ugly about this build.

:lurk::lurk::lurk: NO :zzz: HERE!! :headbang:

Allen, you are not putting anyone to sleep. I have been lurking, but realize through my wood shop build that many lurk and don't post. Then you (the poster) do not know if you are being laughed at, wondered at, or what is going on. So, I am posting a reply to explain my lurking status and changing it so you are aware you are building a project I hope to complete for some in my family some day and your posting is going to be invaluable to me then!
So keep posting, keep explaining both the good, the bad and the ugly about this build.

:lurk::lurk::lurk: NO :zzz: HERE!! :headbang:

My thoughts exactly.

Im not concerned if anyone is laughing or anything negative, Im stating I dont see a need to post it all if its holding little interest for the rest of the posters, since I post often with all the steps of each build. I can post less with just a product when Im done.save space.

Im not concerned if anyone is laughing or anything negative, Im stating I dont see a need to post it all if its holding little interest for the rest of the posters, since I post often with all the steps of each build. I can post less with just a product when Im done.save space.

It's really all about what you want, Some people may like to see just the end results, some people are more interested in what it takes to get there. I myself love seeing, and posting the journey of a project. For me it becomes more then just a Item but a something with all the components of a story.

But as I said you should feel comfortable with what you are showing. I myself wasn't going to post much but the end of my crib build but I thought, I've learned a lot from some of the projects I read about on here. If even just one person gets some inspiration from mine like how i was inspired its worth it.

Although after i started my main fear was if I updated often then people showing off their completed work might not get seen as well so I try to post as little as possible. I was thinking though it would be kind of cool if "Flatwork Project Showcase" was split out some way with one group for completed projects "Showcase" and another grouping that was "Projects". Once I was done with A project I would post the finish in one thread with a link to the story behind it.

Anyway enough of me yacking :D Just do what makes you happy and we will be happy. :thumb: oh and I wouldnt think space is an issue but a admin could better answer that.

oh and I wouldnt think space is an issue but a admin could better answer that.
Back when we were setting up this forum we wanted to make sure that we wouldn't have any problem with storage space. That the reason why we picked who we did as a place to host this site. If we need more space we can buy it for very little money. Although I've been out of that end of the forum for a while I fel quite sure we have adaquate space on our server to accomidate all the posts we want.

I think posting the process is as important as seeing the end results. It allows other to learn. Great job so far lets see the rest of the story.