New Tools with comments and questions

Dan Mosley

I decided to buy some more tools that i did not have with the money i got from selling some bowls the other day (pic's attached). I ordered from Craft Supplies who sent the items out very quick.

1). Calipers - Needed a decent pair of them - inches/cm's/decimal but im not sure what the abs is or what its used for - any ideas ? Either way im very happy with the quality of them and they come with a very nice case
2). Raptor gages - made of steel and easy to use - I have the wolverine jig etc and i know i could do without them but for $20.00 for 3 I think its worth it. They are also sending me another one (60) cheaper with no shipping charge.
3). I thought i ordered a 2 prong spur center and this is the one that came - (Axminister Power Center). At first i thought about sending it back and then realizing that it is a much better one than what i thought i ordered i decided to keep it. I am sure it is my error because it was on my wishlist on their website. Invoice shows this is the one i ordered and price shown was within $10.00 difference. This is one heavy duty Center..............
One thing is i give Craft Supplies 2 thumbs up they have good customer service and my deliveries are fast.........Dan

Attachments

• Calipers 001.jpg
    Calipers 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Calipers 004.jpg
    Calipers 004.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Calipers 006.jpg
    Calipers 006.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 54
Congrats on the new goodies, Dan. Stu made some things that do the same sort of function as the Raptors. They look handy for changing profiles.

I hope that spur center is made from good (hard) steel. Cheap ones are useless. I have had two with spurs whose edges actually bent over when I tried pounding into Osage Orange. I know OO is hard but steel should be harder.
Otherwise, congrats on the new tools. I would appreciate a short product review after you have used the Raptors for a while.

Thanks guys. I have all my gouges at 45 so don't need to change anything and the skew, roughing gouge etc I eyeball. Takes seconds. Seems to work. Not really an adherent to the sharpening cult and anyway don't have any room for all the different tools etc available:D

Pete