Kudos to Woodcraft Cust Svc

Norman Hitt

I had described a problem purchase in post #3 of Ned Bulken's Woodcraft Customer Service thread, and then an unsolicited response from the General Manager of the 6 Texas Woodcraft stores in post #6 of Ned's thread, so here is the final outcome of it all.

Since my Daughter had been away tending to some family matters, I held off replying to Mr. Rusty Fennell until I could talk to her and check her schedule but when she still hadn't returned on Monday, (8/24/09) I replied to him by email in the wee hrs of Tuesday morning, (8/25/09), telling him I appreciated his concern and follow up and that his proposal was fair and that I would get back with him when my daughter got back, (so she could go to the store and pick the items). At 8:45 that morning my phone rang and it was Rusty. We had a nice conversation about what happened and maybe what went wrong and possible solutions to prevent future similar occurrences at their stores. I again said I would get back with him when my Daughter got back and he said, "If you would like, I will call the store and set it up and then you can just call them and give them your CC # and we will mail it on out to you if that would be more convenient". I agreed awaited til mid afternoon and called the store. I again had a nice conversation with the asst Store Mgr., (turns out the Mgr had been on Convalescent leave, and HE had been Off that day), and since the person at the cash register hadn't been told of the promise by another employee he simply didn't know what to do and didn't feel he had the authority to honor what my daughter told him had been promised. Everyone I talked to was very nice, apologetic and were definitely concerned about doing the "Right Thing" and keeping a good Reputation with their customers. I gave Scott my CC # and mailing address and he said, I'll send it out Fed-Ex ground today, (Tue afternoon 8/25/09),and, Oh Yes, he said, I know Rusty gave you that price but I looked back and saw that the sale price was xxxx so it wont be what Rusty told you it will be xxxx less, for the Planer Guage and as Rusty said, we are going to give you the Wixey Caliper free as our apology to compensate for your trouble.

Well, I really couldn't believe that Fed-Ex didn't first ship it to Memphis or Ohio or somewhere first, but they actually put it on a truck to Odessa, and it arrived Before Lunch the next Morning, Wednesday 8/26/09. Whoopee:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I am Tickled Pink to have my faith Restored in Woodcraft and the Addison/Dallas Store, because as I said before, I really like that store and it is handy for me when I visit there.

Sooooooooo....... now I will see if I can remember how to post a Pic.:rolleyes::huh::huh::huh:

Sheesh that's a LOUSY picture. Looks like I've got to get back in practice using my camera again.:confused::bang:

Attachments

• Shop Tools, Wixey Planer Guage and Wixey Caliper 002 (Small).jpg
    Shop Tools, Wixey Planer Guage and Wixey Caliper 002 (Small).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Stuff happens, that is life, I have to deal with it in our business here too, for me, what really matters is how the problem is dealt with.

It sounds to me like Woodcraft dealt with the problem on a very high level, kudos to them.

I've always had good dealings with Woodcraft.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Stu

I think seeing success stories like this can be as valuable (or more) than seeing the rants when things go bad. Well done on Woodcraft's part, and kudos to you for sharing the story. :thumb:

Glad to hear your outcome with Woodcraft, Norman.

Almost all Woodcraft stores are franchises, so I suspect that there may be differences in management styles at each. That being said, I have traveled a lot for business reasons and I always make a point to find the local woodcraft store to visit. My experience has always been positive. There is something very therapeutic for me that when I am stuck in some strange city for a week or so, I am able to drop by a Woodcraft store and just suck up the atmosphere there for a while. It is not the same as working in my own shop, but it comes close. The other good thing about the visits to these Woodcrafts stores is that I usually don't buy anything, because I need to be able to bring it back on the plane. Sure can't say that about the Seattle store near me (really nice people there). Ouch, good thing it is about a 2 hour trip south of me, because my wallet could not stand the steady abuse.

Besides business taxes being off the wall, Im not sure why a woodcraft has yet to secure a locationin the metro ny area.
Id have to guess that there are millions of weekend woodworkers, not to mention probably the largest amount of professionals per square mile than almost any other place on the planet, yet, no woodworking stores like woodcraft here.

Besides business taxes being off the wall, Im not sure why a woodcraft has yet to secure a locationin the metro ny area.
Id have to guess that there are millions of weekend woodworkers, not to mention probably the largest amount of professionals per square mile than almost any other place on the planet, yet, no woodworking stores like woodcraft here.

Much the same story here in the Los Angeles area. There's a Woodcraft 36 miles away in one direction and 54 miles in the other. I've not been to either. I do have a Rockler about 25 minutes away (in good traffic), but other than that, it's pretty sparse for woodworking specialty shops from what I've seen.

Much the same story here in the Los Angeles area. There's a Woodcraft 36 miles away in one direction and 54 miles in the other. I've not been to either. I do have a Rockler about 25 minutes away (in good traffic), but other than that, it's pretty sparse for woodworking specialty shops from what I've seen.

Boy, those are just a Weeeeeeeee bit closer than mine.:rolleyes:
(Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Ft. Worth and Dallas/Addison).:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Boy, those are just a Weeeeeeeee bit closer than mine.:rolleyes:
(Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Ft. Worth and Dallas/Addison).:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess you got me there. :D Although some days I think I'd rather drive from Odessa to any of those cities you named than drive the 36 miles down the 5 or 405 freeways to Orange County. :p I'd also rather go to the Ventura store, 54 miles away, just because I wouldn't have to drive through the heart of LA. :rolleyes:

I guess you got me there. :D Although some days I think I'd rather drive from Odessa to any of those cities you named than drive the 36 miles down the 5 or 405 freeways to Orange County. :p I'd also rather go to the Ventura store, 54 miles away, just because I wouldn't have to drive through the heart of LA. :rolleyes:

I DO admit you got some traffic there, but of ALL the large cities/metro areas in the USA, the LA area was my favorite in an 18 wheeler, and for 3 1/2 years I "averaged" being there almost once per week of the 46 weeks/yr I was on duty. At least the roads were wide, no low overpasses, but best of all, Drivers there "actually knew" how to properly get Onto and off of the freeways without causing a major flub up.:thumb: Seemed I always made pickups somewhere as far as you could get on the west side just in time to hit rush hour traffic heading east to the east coast but it really wasn't much problem. Coming from the NW area there could sometimes get a few slow downs though and I-5 and 405 was more congested. I think it is easier though when you do it all the time. Maybe you just get Numb to it all.:dunno::D It's really probably Good that I don't live any closer to those stores than I do, ya know,.......... Kid in a Candy Store, That's ME.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Boy, I sure agree with you about the LA drivers knowing how to drive on the freeways. (The ones that don't know don't live very long.) :p Although we have our fair share of idiots, most people actually cooperate with other drivers on the freeways. I sure couldn't imagine driving an 18 wheeler here. Those truckers who do have some serious cojones.

I order alot of stuff and several times stuff showed up damanaged and woodcraft has been great about it. In fact most of the time I don't even bother I just eat it.
Last time was a sheet of that plywood coated with uhd plastic. Arrived all banged up on the cornors. They gave me a partial credit which was perfedt because I only needed par of the sheet. It worked out on both sides they didn't have to deal with shipping back and the return and I got a little off.